Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 3G System waste a lot of phone battery life

Member Reputation: 18

Smile 3G System waste a lot of phone battery life

Hi Pro,
    My network's Huawei system and employs 3G technology.

My customer complains "Their phone's wasted a lot of energy from they use 3G technology".

Please help me to solve this problem
    Who meet same situation with me before??
    Thanks you very much Pro!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi men!

Who has a document about "the wasting energy between 2g and 3g network"

Or, how to optimize the phone energy life in 3G network.

Thank you so much for any help!!1

Moderator Reputation: 473

Hi as I remember there is 2 kind of subject that you should consider about your network issue:

1.The number of compressed mode UE which will able the UEs to measures other technology frequency during Cell-FACH,Cell-DCH,URA-State that it will consume UEs battery during measurements !

2.Uplink interferences which will has to UEs to send the uplink messages with higher TX power this problem also will consume more battery energy.

Thanks,
    Reza

Junior Member Reputation: 10

Default Additional parameters

Hi,

The important thing is to split the issue in two parts
    1) Optimisation of power consumption in idle mode

2) Optimisation in power consumption in connected mode

Regarding topic 1) - one of the main parameters that governs your battery consumption would be CN DRX Cycle Length Coefficient
    - If set too low, the UE stand-by time decreases. If set too high, the mobile terminated call-setup latency increases and the delayed cell reselection process might cause reduced access performance.
    For comparable performance with GSM, set it to 1.28 (or even 2.56) seconds

Regarding topic 2) - in DCH, there is not too much to optimize and usually the power consumption figures between GSM and WCDMA for a voice calls are very comparable.

There is a room for improvement regarding PS calls and especially CELL_FACH state (power consumption is quite big in CELL_FACH state, irrespective if UE measures other technology or frequency).

BR

Junior Member Reputation: 8

Thanks a lot for this very useful information, can you please share your trial with us or just tell me if there are any drawbacks for changing the CN domain specific DRX cycle length coefficient parameter to 1280ms?

Hi friend,

Thanks all for your help.
    I already check on my network, CN Drx length Circle is 1280ms.

So,some my customers complain their phone waste battery faster than they used 2G. I don't know why?

Did someone meet the same situation before on your network?

VIP Member Reputation: 1849 wolverine's Avatar

The big "killer" for battery life in 3G terminals is talk time.

Unlike 2G where the terminal is transmitting at 1 timeslot and DTX in 7, in 3G the control channel (DPCCH) is always transmitting.

The difference in power consumption can be up to double.

This is a well known fact. For example if you have a look here hxxp://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n900/specifications

under the power management section you can see that Nokia quotes different talk-time for 2G and for 3G.

Standby power consumption is a bit better, especially if you optimise DRX cycle coefficients and keep Sintersearch, Sratsearch quite low thus avoiding constant searches when idle and in good radio conditions.

Member Reputation: 141

my advice: make lower threshold for compressedmode

Member Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by tukangoptim View Post
    my advice: make lower threshold for compressedmode
    serious mode: http://www.finetopix.com/showthread.php?t=7779

Junior Member Reputation: 12

Hi,

one of the main reasons for 3G having a higher power consumption and consequently less battery life is due to the Power Amplifier of the mobile.
    In GSM, the modulation used has no fluctuations in amplitude (the information goes on phase changes) and so is possible to use high efficiency amplifiers.
    In UMTS, the modulation has both amplitude and phase changes, so the previous amplifiers cannot be used.
    You may have notice the increase of temperature of the mobile while you are in 3G mode. This is due to the previous.

In fact little can be done to solve this issue from the network side. What you can see is if the mobile is far or not from the NodeB. If so, the mobile needs to transmit with higher power leading to the previous.

If you have further questions, let me know.