Thanks Thanks:  15
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Showing results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Working for an operator or for a vendor ?

Member Reputation: 18

Default Re: Working for an operator or for a vendor ?

what is the minimum years that one should work on vendor before moving on to operators?

Senior Member Reputation: 307

Impossible question - depends on individual.

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    what is the minimum years that one should work on vendor before moving on to operators?

Junior Member Reputation: 10

I agree with someone who mentioned above that there is no more any money in vendors. Not to forget, its actually the operators that are minting it, not the vendors.

Member Reputation: 338

in my country, operator are starting to let go network operation and going to be full service manage for efficiency and cost, the network operation are full responsible to vendor which is used by operator. From this situation you can decide yourself which is a suitable one, if you like to analyze network then you are more suitable in vendor, if you like to make some creative service to make the operator get more revenue then you are more suitable in operator. i don't know about another country, maybe you can share here

Member Reputation: 22

vendor:

+ bigger salary
    + specialized in the field

+/- more pressure

operator

- less salary (obviously_

+ more chance to learn other subjects, not only how to achieve sdsr, tch drop rate, cssr cs etc..

as a vendor you will get pressure from your superior only, when you worked in operator you will also get pressure from your boss and the subscriber.
    wether working in operator or as a vendor makes you lazy it really depends on the person sometime a persons became bored due to repetitive work, you should also consider this.
    those are what i can thik of.

Member Reputation: 51

What are the market telecom consultant per day rate? with 3 year 5 year or 10 year experience. RN, Core or transmission Enggg.

Member Reputation: 51

anyone ? ......................

Member Reputation: 16

start with vendor first to get experience before going to operator for the money.

Member Reputation: 258

Operator is better, definitely!

Junior Member Reputation: 12

I work for an operator for 10 years now. For several years I had the impression that fellow engineers working in vendors are in a better career path than mine (more expertise on the platforms,access to those valuable "internal" documents-oh, I so hate not being able to just check their database as I please- many more different projects involved with, more experiences in different countries, more money etc).

As the years passed though, I realized that the satisfaction you get from your job in an operator, is not to ignore. You develop "your" network, you attract "your" subscribers, you get to develop strong relations with co-operating teams (and that hidden, or less hidden, antagonism between radio and core teams!). At the end, you enjoy all that effort you put in developing, upgrading,switching, ,fixing, experimenting with your network.

I have the feeling that vendor guys start and finish a project and then go to the next one. Exciting, yes. Money is good, yes. But their "achievements" are not "theirs. You know what I mean?

If you asked me now, if I got the chance back then to chose a career path, I would stick to being an operator engineer.

(My country doesn't have any big vendor offices, only sales representatives work here anyway!)