Thanks Thanks:  0
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mapinfo Lat and long

Junior Member Reputation: 10

Angry Mapinfo Lat and long

Hi, I have a problem with Mapinfo that hopefully someone can help with.

From an Access query I have the lat and long columns that are as below:

Lat Long
    123456 234567
    234567 891234

etc etc

I'm not used to using the Lat/Long data but cant seem to get Mapinfo to create more than one point for all the data.

I have the data in Excel columns and go through the normal table and points creation as I would for East/Northings with a GB projection, but use Lat/long instead and WS84.

However all I get is a single point. I can see all the data when I use the info

Thanks for any help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Reputation: 77

Default Re: Mapinfo Lat and long

If you get just one point, that looks like you have not selected any points at all...so MapInfo creates the first point only.

Select all of them and try again (tick the box on the left of each point on the list)

P.S click on the first point and drag your mouse to the last one (instead of clicking each point separately)

Hi, thanks for the answer but its still not working.

I thought by selecting the whole table (A2 and below, with the first column as headers) then the table was automatically selected anyway.

What I have noticed this time is that the Long and Lat columns are showing with the 1000 comma seperator in (ie 123,456) which I'm not sure if this would be affecting things.

To get rid of this I presume I have to make a copy of the basic file so I can change it to a non number field. When I have it in Excel I have it as a decimal number, but no 1000 seperator selected. Maybe this is the problem. In Excel should I have the column format set up as general and not number?

Help appreciated

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Reputation: 77

I think that it should be something to do with system locale then. Check that as well, and make sure that your excel is using the same as mapinfo.
    LON and LAT cannot be larger than 90 and 180 degrees (cant remember which is which though). Put my two cents that if they are larger than that then they wouldn't be able to be represented on map

Could you also post a small portion of the non-working excel (or the whole thing)?
    Last edited by thodoris85; 2011-10-21 at 05:06 PM

BannedUser Reputation: 970

the thing you should first check is the coordinate/projection must be same between data recorded and your MI setting (session projection)

Member Reputation: 112

Try zooming in maximum into that one point... and then click the i (info) button.
    You may get some clarity on which point or points have been projected.

Hi mate,

I am facing some issue on create point in mapinfo too, the following image shown my table format and the plotted results. I wonder why the plotting is not smooth continuos plotting but is shown in the image belows:
    Mapinfo_coordinate_Projection.jpg

can anyone advise me on this please?

Senior Member Reputation: 331

Quote Originally Posted by blert596 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the answer but its still not working. I thought by selecting the whole table (A2 and below, with the first column as headers) then the table was automatically selected anyway. What I have noticed this time is that the Long and Lat columns are showing with the 1000 comma seperator in (ie 123,456) which I'm not sure if this would be affecting things. To get rid of this I presume I have to make a copy of the basic file so I can change it to a non number field. When I have it in Excel I have it as a decimal number, but no 1000 seperator selected. Maybe this is the problem. In Excel should I have the column format set up as general and not number? Help appreciated
    In Excel make sure Lat Longs are in Number format. Especially make sure that there is no warning that says "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe".

hi friend,

i checked my lat long format are in number format and no warning message seen during create point.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoder View Post
    In Excel make sure Lat Longs are in Number format. Especially make sure that there is no warning that says "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe".

Senior Member Reputation: 331

Quote Originally Posted by kkckk View Post
    hi friend,

i checked my lat long format are in number format and no warning message seen during create point.
    During importing into Mapinfo what type did u choose for Lat, Long fields?