Thanks Thanks:  0
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Add Additional Carrier on a 3G Network

Junior Member Reputation: 10

Default Add Additional Carrier on a 3G Network

Dear Friends,

Can you share us the triggering conditions required to add a carrier on a 3G network? In my case, we have 2 shared carriers R'99/HSPA and I'm asking when should I add a third carrier?

- DL Power Congestion -- what this the threshold?

- Bad HSDPA throughput -- What is the lower througput threshold ? (I know it depends on the operator strategy, but I need your feedbacks and examples).

- Important number of HSDPA users -- what is the recommended value?

Regards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

VIP Member Reputation: 897

Default Re: Add Additional Carrier on a 3G Network

Quote Originally Posted by Kouka View Post
    Dear Friends,

Can you share us the triggering conditions required to add a carrier on a 3G network? In my case, we have 2 shared carriers R'99/HSPA and I'm asking when should I add a third carrier?

- Bad HSDPA throughput -- What is the lower througput threshold ? (I know it depends on the operator strategy, but I need your feedbacks and examples).

Regards

I don't understand ur question exactly. Carrier addition is done to offload the air interface congestion. Usually it is done in a cluster and not on 1-2 sites. Now it depends on your statistics and the your optimization skill that what exactly you want.

Note: It is not necessary that you activate HS on another carrier. Best practice is to throw ur CS traffic to non-HS carrier or 2G network
    Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together.

Regards,
    Venom

Member Reputation: 29

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    I don't understand ur question exactly. Carrier addition is done to offload the air interface congestion. Usually it is done in a cluster and not on 1-2 sites. Now it depends on your statistics and the your optimization skill that what exactly you want.

Note: It is not necessary that you activate HS on another carrier. Best practice is to throw ur CS traffic to non-HS carrier or 2G network
    Its not necessary to always do a carrier addition in a cluster batch. Single site carrier additions can also be done. It just depends on how much of a budget you are willing to shed.

As for the trigger, one of the main triggers we have is the UL RSSI...when you see a considerable increase in UL RSSI for 2 consecutive weeks when the traffic is also high, that is a trigger for a carrier addition.

Member Reputation: 172

Dear Friends,

Regards

DL Code Tree utilization is the main drive to introduce another carrier. Also if you have higher rates like HSDPA+ and want to reserve more HSDPA codes then it is good to have another carrier and use it for PS only. There are statistics measuring this(vendor specific). I've never seen so far the need for third carrier (probably some extremely load hot spots like stadium or concert place). What is the utilization in your case?

Thanks!

For UL RSSI, can you detail why should we add a carrier for high UL RSSI.
    Generally, we add a third carrier to affload the air interface congestion. My question was which the congestion rate that we can tolerate, for example, if we have 5% DL power congestion, then add a carrier is mondatory.

Please, if you have some documents studing scenario of adding a third carrier, share us.

Regards

What's the relatd counters on huawei case for DL Code Tree utilization?

Regards

Member Reputation: 29

Thanks!

For UL RSSI, can you detail why should we add a carrier for high UL RSSI.
    Generally, we add a third carrier to affload the air interface congestion. My question was which the congestion rate that we can tolerate, for example, if we have 5% DL power congestion, then add a carrier is mondatory.

Please, if you have some documents studing scenario of adding a third carrier, share us.

Regards
    well..when you have many ue's that are floating around the site, your noise floor is going to increase hence increasing the UL RSSI.

Junior Member Reputation: 14

What's the relatd counters on huawei case for DL Code Tree utilization?

Regards
    Usually VS.SF.occupy which should be divided by 256 (the count of SF 256 codes, used to normalize) if you need to have Code tree utilization. If you monitor it per weekly base average of the 7 daily busy hours in terms of Code tree utilization should be higher than 70%. I ve noticed that above 80% you have singular blocking due to code congestion. temporary you can play trick with the reserved codes per HSDPA, which does not solve the problem - just decrease the "reserved resources" per users. and there we came to the need of a second carrier.