PDA

View Full Version : Question uptilt

nofelet
2010-03-19, 06:00 PM
I have seen many RNP who use uptilt, I'm not an adherent of this, but someone exlpain me that is advantage for it.

justdream
2010-03-19, 06:11 PM
I have seen many RNP who use uptilt, I'm not an adherent of this, but someone exlpain me that is advantage for it.

is this in Rural or urban area?
it should be Rural

davidbrayan
2010-03-19, 06:44 PM
there may be a case where the antenna has inbuilt (constant) electrical down tilt, lets say of 6 and the required is lets say 4 so the antenna is given 2 degree machenical uptilt making it 4 degree of effective down tilt.

BR
db

punto
2010-03-19, 07:35 PM
The reall cause to use this trick is --> assistance in interference reduction (back lobe "killer").
When ther is a fixed electric downtilt or not , case is typicall to have for example ,for panel antenna that supports 10 degrees of variabl electrical tilt , you put some 5 degrees of uptilt mechanically and 9-10 degrees of el. downtilt , conseqvence is you have effective 5 degrees of total downtilt in your front - main antenna lobe and your back lobe will stay downtilted for amount of mechanical down tilt (5 degrees) and in tis wey reduce unwanted signall to spread in back direction and interfer some of the sites that use exactly the same, co-channel or adjacent channel in the same area in the town or in the small cluster ... It is not to cover the aeronautical mobile user in helicopters and aeirioplanes :)))) P:)

Processor
2010-03-19, 08:49 PM
From an RNP's point of view, It is used for wider or longer coverage mostly in rural areas or long stretch of roads.

The theory is that waves/particles travel farther when they move in a parabolic motion.

nofelet
2010-03-20, 12:06 AM
Thanks man

pass.soft
2010-03-20, 07:31 PM
Processor,

can you please elaborate a bit the theory you described?

cococrunch
2010-03-21, 03:42 PM
The reall cause to use this trick is --> assistance in interference reduction (back lobe "killer").
When ther is a fixed electric downtilt or not , case is typicall to have for example ,for panel antenna that supports 10 degrees of variabl electrical tilt , you put some 5 degrees of uptilt mechanically and 9-10 degrees of el. downtilt , conseqvence is you have effective 5 degrees of total downtilt in your front - main antenna lobe and your back lobe will stay downtilted for amount of mechanical down tilt (5 degrees) and in tis wey reduce unwanted signall to spread in back direction and interfer some of the sites that use exactly the same, co-channel or adjacent channel in the same area in the town or in the small cluster ... It is not to cover the aeronautical mobile user in helicopters and aeirioplanes :)))) P:)

I just want to clarify, do you mean "5 degrees of uptilt mechanically" that antenna is inclined 5 degrees shooting upward then perform "9-10 degrees of el. downtilt" to compensate 5 degree mech uptilt?

I just want to know because this is new learning for me. Thanks. :)

punto
2010-03-22, 03:01 AM
yes, you are right, if you have not used so far, this radio planning and optimization great trick, the best is to do a drive test with TEMS Investigation
few cases are interesting to compare ...

1) down tilt 0 ,
2) then down tilt mechanical 6
3) then down tilt electrical 6
4) then uptilt mechanical 4 and downtilt 10

Make TEMS drive test with lock to a frequency of this one test sector, and I am sure , the benefit of the trick will be quite clear. If make this kind of drive test, it would be nice of you to share the results of it to this forum for benefit of other forum friends ...
BR, P:)