PDA

View Full Version : LTE for 4G Mobile Broadband: Air Interface Technologies and Performance

wolverine
2009-08-12, 08:45 AM
Review

"This text is an especially helpful as an accompaniment to the 3GPP specifications themselves, which offer no explanations as to why one thing or another is included, no hint as to why one protocol technique was chosen over another, or why certain contributions appear only to disappear in later releases. Khan's text offers a welcome set of explanations for pretty much all the mysteries in the specifications; the book gave me a sense of having sat through the LTE formulation process itself. Farooq Khan gives us a rigorous exploration of the contributing technologies and practices with all the whys and wherefores disclosed. The book is, in my view, a critical accompaniment to the LTE specifications for readers who prefer to understand what they are reading and would like to be able to interpret and actually use the LTE specifications."
Malcolm Oliphant, Award Solutions Inc.

Product Description
Do you need to get up to speed quickly on LTE?

Understand the new technologies of the LTE standard and how they contribute to improvements in system performance with this practical and valuable guide, written by an expert on LTE who was intimately involved in drafting the standard. In addition to a strong grounding in the technical details, you'll also get fascinating insights into why particular technologies were chosen in the development process.

Core topics covered include:

•Network architecture and protocols
•OFDMA downlink access
•Low-PAPR SC-FDMA uplink access
•Transmit diversity and MIMO spatial multiplexing
•Channel structure and bandwidths
•Cell search, reference signals and random access
•Turbo coding with contention-free interleaver
•Scheduling, link adaptation, hybrid ARQ and power control
•Uplink and downlink physical control signaling
•Inter-cell interference mitigation techniques
•Single-frequency network (SFN) broadcast
•MIMO spatial channel model
•Evaluation methodology and system performance

With extensive references, a useful discussion of technologies that were not included in the standard, and end-of-chapter summaries that emphasize all the key points, this book is an essential resource for practitioners in the mobile cellular communications industry and for graduate students studying advanced wireless communications.
RELEASE NAME....: Cambridge.LTE.For.4G.Mobile.Broadband.Apr.2009.eBook-ELOHiM
RELEASE DATE....: Today
FORMAT..........: PDF
LANGUAGE........: English
URL.............: http://www.amazon.com/LTE-Mobile-Broadband-Technologies-Performance/dp/0521882214

Download..

http://rapidshare.com/files/262045260/0521882214.rar.html

commengr
2009-08-12, 01:03 PM
Review

I believe 3GPP has itself said that LTE would not be 4G, since it does not fulfill the criteria set by ITU-R for 4th Generation Wireless communication system, i.e. a peak data rate of 100 Mbps with high mobility and 1 Gbps with low mobility.

Maybe that author started working on the book earlier.

Actually, it is going to be LTE-Advanced that will be brought forward as the candidate for 4G in September/October/November (I've forgotten the exact month)

Hope this helps

wolverine
2009-08-12, 04:48 PM
I believe 3GPP has itself said that LTE would not be 4G, since it does not fulfill the criteria set by ITU-R for 4th Generation Wireless communication system, i.e. a peak data rate of 100 Mbps with high mobility and 1 Gbps with low mobility.

Maybe that author started working on the book earlier.

Actually, it is going to be LTE-Advanced that will be brought forward as the candidate for 4G in September/October/November (I've forgotten the exact month)

Hope this helps

You are right, but the author is well aware of this (as you can see in the extract below). I believe the 4G in the title is more of an attention grabber..

"Evolution to 4G

The radio-interface attributes for Mobile WiMAX and UMB are very similar to those of
LTE given in Table 1.1.All three systems support flexible bandwidths, FDD/TDD duplexing,
OFDMA in the downlink and MIMO schemes. There are a few differences such as uplink
in LTE is based on SC-FDMA compared to OFDMA in Mobile WiMAX and UMB. The
performance of the three systems is therefore expected to be similar with small differences.
Similar to the IMT-2000 initiative, ITU-R Working Party 5D has stated requirements for
IMT-advanced systems. Among others, these requirements include average downlink data
rates of 100 Mbit/s in the wide area network, and up to 1 Gbit/s for local access or low-
mobility scenarios. Also, at the World Radiocommunication Conference 2007 (WRC-2007),
a maximum of a 428MHz new spectrum is identified for IMT systems that also include a
136MHz spectrum allocated on a global basis.
Both 3GPPand IEEE 802 LMSCare actively developing their own standards for submission
to IMT-advanced. The goal for both LTE-advanced [9] and IEEE 802.16m [10] standards
is to further enhance system spectral efficiency and data rates while supporting backward
compatibility with their respective earlier releases. As part of the LTE-advanced and IEEE
802.16 standards developments, several enhancements including support for a larger than
20MHz bandwidth and higher-order MIMO are being discussed to meet the IMT-advanced
requirements."