PDA

View Full Version : What is a "service beam"? (TD-LTE antenna) [solved]

subway
2020-04-09, 07:22 PM
I keep seeing this "service beam" in Huawei TD-LTE antenna specs, but it is not quite clear to me what they are referring to.

To my knowledge, the "Single column beam" is describing the non-beamformed characteristics, the "65° Broadcast beam" describer the beamformed characteristics when a BF antenna is added and configured for 65° horizontal beam. There are also patterns that describe the left and right azimuth shifts, or the multi-beam (soft split) configuration as well. But I have no idea what is this "service beam" is referring.

If someone can shed some light on it, that would be nice.

It is also interesting, that these "smart" antennas (they contain a "RAE" chip that stores the weights for the antenna and the BBU can read it via ASIG) also have settings for 30° broadcast beam configuration, but none of the documentation has characteristics for that setting.

I attached and example datasheet for my question.

MOD:

I found the answer: the service beam is the PDSCH (or traffic) beam which if formed towards the UE dynamically based on its position and traffic. I also attached a document which explains this quite nicely: 42567