PDA

View Full Version : Question Convert kb to Erlang ?

soo55
2015-05-19, 01:37 AM
Hi All,

I'm sorry if my question doesn't make sens, I'm in Finance, my knowledge in terms of technology is limited :)

I'm working on a profitability study, and I've to convert the total data usage (kb) to Erlang ...

I found in some forums the same formula below:

For UMTS

Video
1 Erlang = 64 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 28.8 MB of traffic in one hour

Voice Call
1 Erlang = 12.2 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 5.5 MB of traffic in one hour

in my case, I've only the total data traffic of the company in kb consumed by all the subscribers during the month, it includes the video and the voice call, but also all the data usage as file downloads, email, chat ....

my question is: is it possible to convert all this traffic from kb to Erlang ?

thanks for your support
soo

bluep
2015-05-19, 11:23 AM
You must know the Bit Rate of service to convert from db to Erl
So, if your traffic is from many kinds of Bit rate, you cannot transfer it to Erl . It's not true

DJ Download
2015-05-19, 04:08 PM
In general it is not recommended to do this, especially if you later on want to include LTE service in your calculation.
But if you need to do it i think perform the calculation separately per service like what you already did below is a good way to start.

plannerguy
2015-05-19, 07:45 PM
HI

EGPRS will support 59.2Kbps ,so 59.2*3600/8 will provide 26 MB.

Rgds
Preh

soo55
2015-05-20, 04:36 AM
thanks to all of you for your feedback;

normally the total traffic DATA is in 3G "UMTS"; what I need to do is to affect the network cost by service (Voice/DATA), for voice it's easy, 1 Erlang = 60 minutes of talk, but I've to estimate the average MB consumed in one hour, assuming that all the data usage is more or less in the same bit rate, is it correct to use : 1 Erlang = 64 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 28.8 MB of traffic in one hour ?

rgds
soo

bluep
2015-05-20, 03:44 PM
Bit Rates = 64 kbps
TTI per frame = 20 msec = 0.02 sec ( follow link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Time_Interval )
Duration of busy hour = 1 hour = 3600 sec
Data erlang = (total number of frames transmitted * TTI per frame)/Duration of busy hour

1 Erl = (X * 0.02)/3600
X = total number of frames transmitted = 3600/0.02 = 180,000 frames

Y = total number of kbps transmitted = 180,000 * 64 kbps = 11.52Mbps
You can mutiply Y with GOS ( Grade of service ) = 0.02 or 0.01 to get Total Real transmitted = Y + Y*0.01

srilasitha
2015-05-22, 06:51 PM
Hi All,

I'm sorry if my question doesn't make sens, I'm in Finance, my knowledge in terms of technology is limited :)

I'm working on a profitability study, and I've to convert the total data usage (kb) to Erlang ...

I found in some forums the same formula below:

For UMTS

Video
1 Erlang = 64 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 28.8 MB of traffic in one hour

Voice Call
1 Erlang = 12.2 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 5.5 MB of traffic in one hour

in my case, I've only the total data traffic of the company in kb consumed by all the subscribers during the month, it includes the video and the voice call, but also all the data usage as file downloads, email, chat ....

my question is: is it possible to convert all this traffic from kb to Erlang ?

thanks for your support
soo

Erlang concept is to identify the no of circuits needed. if you have multiple service each service MB has to be taken separately. if you mix it then there is no meaning of your Erlang figure ( only can say this much of MB can be generated from this much of voice erlang )

soo55
2015-05-22, 10:28 PM
I Understand perfectly, is there any other way to estimate the average MB used in one hour for 3G UMTS ?

Erlang concept is to identify the no of circuits needed. if you have multiple service each service MB has to be taken separately. if you mix it then there is no meaning of your Erlang figure ( only can say this much of MB can be generated from this much of voice erlang )

srilasitha
2015-05-27, 02:31 PM
I Understand perfectly, is there any other way to estimate the average MB used in one hour for 3G UMTS ?

Use the IUB data throughput , after removing the signalling bw usage

soo55
2015-05-27, 10:30 PM
:confused:

Use the IUB data throughput , after removing the signalling bw usage ?

Use the IUB data throughput , after removing the signalling bw usage

dekili
2015-05-28, 04:42 PM
Bit Rates = 64 kbps
TTI per frame = 20 msec = 0.02 sec ( follow link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Time_Interval )
Duration of busy hour = 1 hour = 3600 sec
Data erlang = (total number of frames transmitted * TTI per frame)/Duration of busy hour

1 Erl = (X * 0.02)/3600
X = total number of frames transmitted = 3600/0.02 = 180,000 frames

Y = total number of kbps transmitted = 180,000 * 64 kbps = 11.52Mbps
You can mutiply Y with GOS ( Grade of service ) = 0.02 or 0.01 to get Total Real transmitted = Y + Y*0.01

Actually, GoS is related to number of circuits and Erlang table so you can't multiply throughput with blockage percentage. You need to multiply Erlang traffic. Nevertheless, if there is no information, this could do the job because it is more pessimistic than Erlang table.

dekili

dekili
2015-05-28, 04:50 PM
You can't recover proper information if you have only a single number which is total throughput. For voice, you need to know BHCA attempts (e.g. 1.5 calls per user per busy hour) and call length (e.g. 90 seconds). Than you can find number of Erlangs with GoS of 2% and that number of Erlangs (lines) could be converted to throughput based on used vocoder (e.g.12.2kb/s). For video and Internet you need BHSA and average duration. Average throughput per UMTS user is not high (comparing to maximum data rates) and it depends on a country but you can think about 4-6kb/s per user on average. Of course, it works when you have very large networks (this statistics) but not always for small ones.

Better tell us what you can get regarding data or if you are able to ask someone to give it to you. Then we could advise you what to do. If you only have a single number that is total throughput for all services, you can't do anything with it without knowing user behavior (profile).

dekili

soo55
2015-05-29, 12:08 AM
Thanks dekili for your clarification; unfortunately I don't have these details, I'll check if I can get it from someone in the company.

BR.
soo

You can't recover proper information if you have only a single number which is total throughput. For voice, you need to know BHCA attempts (e.g. 1.5 calls per user per busy hour) and call length (e.g. 90 seconds). Than you can find number of Erlangs with GoS of 2% and that number of Erlangs (lines) could be converted to throughput based on used vocoder (e.g.12.2kb/s). For video and Internet you need BHSA and average duration. Average throughput per UMTS user is not high (comparing to maximum data rates) and it depends on a country but you can think about 4-6kb/s per user on average. Of course, it works when you have very large networks (this statistics) but not always for small ones.

Better tell us what you can get regarding data or if you are able to ask someone to give it to you. Then we could advise you what to do. If you only have a single number that is total throughput for all services, you can't do anything with it without knowing user behavior (profile).

dekili