PDA

View Full Version : Question GSM and 2G Field test for telemetry

Yul25
2015-03-07, 02:04 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking for an application or a phone test tool for displaying basic information.

We have field technician in Europe installing our telemetry hardware.
I'd like to equip them with such equipment.

Our telemetry hardware is equiped with a simcard and works in roaming.

Why this phone test for the field tech ?
To be sure a 2G carrier is available before installing the telemetry.
Sometimes we use directive antenna, this would help the tech to determine the correct position
Our telemetry hardware has only led for displaying the connection status . It's not convenient for the tech.

My ideal is to find an application displaying:
-list of all carriers available (only GSM and GPRS. Not 3G/4G)
-list of neighbour cells, their RSSI, listed by carrier
-as an option : pinging a website : for validating data is up

I tested applications on android and iphone but each times it's only displaying the simcard carrier cells and not those from other carriers.

Yourself do you have experience in a company where your field tech are equiped with such field test application ?
I think such application could be very usefull for people installing M2M (machine to machine) application.

---
For a second level support, it would be sexy to have an application monitoring more field information that could be transmitted to an engineer in our office and proceeding to an analyse.
We saw the Swissqual qualipoc solution 1 year ago.
Is there other alternative you would suggest ?

We are based in Switzerland, and for the moment we have no internal telecom engineer but would like to have an increase our expertise for most common GPRS problematic.
We want to increase our quality and among all to understand why sometime it's not communicating by GPRS.

Thanks for your help.
Yuli