PDA

View Full Version : Bad EcNO or bad 3G quality

eric4good
2014-02-27, 10:57 PM
Dear Members,

Drive test field results are reporting very bad EcNo all over the network, we tried different collection tools (TEMS and NEMO) but results are the same, very poor EcNo even under the site with RSCP levels being extremely good >-70dbm.
The network is mostly F1 with some sites having F2 but no major RF or transmission bottlenecks. Major KPIs from DCR to SOHO overhead have normal trends.
In summary field results indicate we have a major issue but in reality CS and PS calls are made with excellent quality even when EcNo values are -17, which is puzzling.
Are there any parameters that can be responsible for such a poor EcNo readings, what can be the problem?

BR

electron
2014-02-27, 11:00 PM
hi,

What sort of drive test performed ?

Cheers
Dear Members,

Drive test field results are reporting very bad EcNo all over the network, we tried different collection tools (TEMS and NEMO) but results are the same, very poor EcNo even under the site with RSCP levels being extremely good >-70dbm.
The network is mostly F1 with some sites having F2 but no major RF or transmission bottlenecks. Major KPIs from DCR to SOHO overhead have normal trends.
In summary field results indicate we have a major issue but in reality CS and PS calls are made with excellent quality even when EcNo values are -17, which is puzzling.
Are there any parameters that can be responsible for such a poor EcNo readings, what can be the problem?

BR

eric4good
2014-02-27, 11:32 PM
HI, its idle 3G.
Dedicated as well has been performed and returned similar results taking into consideration IRAT HO thresholds ad the rest of the differences.

hi,

What sort of drive test performed ?

Cheers

amadeo
2014-02-28, 03:41 AM
That can't be true.

DId you try to use scanner and see if they are still showing bad EcIo?

Dear Members,

BR

eric4good
2014-02-28, 04:02 AM
Its really puzzling, scanner is currently out of order unfortunately, but if ideal DT is resulting in bad EcNo, I have no reasons to doubt the outcome of two collection tools.
On top idle re-selection parameters(Tselection and Sintrasearch) are set to favor early and quick re-selection, any ideas anyone???

That can't be true.

DId you try to use scanner and see if they are still showing bad EcIo?

Mdaf
2014-02-28, 05:45 AM
Its really puzzling, scanner is currently out of order unfortunately, but if ideal DT is resulting in bad EcNo, I have no reasons to doubt the outcome of two collection tools.
On top idle re-selection parameters(Tselection and Sintrasearch) are set to favor early and quick re-selection, any ideas anyone???

Hello,
is hsdpa enabled on both carriers?

electron
2014-02-28, 12:19 PM
CS call or PS call ? It is important that it is not HSDPA as well
HI, its idle 3G.
Dedicated as well has been performed and returned similar results taking into consideration IRAT HO thresholds ad the rest of the differences.

giegala
2014-02-28, 02:57 PM
Hi,

i would suggest you to put some screenshots. There is obviously something wrong with your measurements. At Ecno = -17, you would not get any UMTS service at all.

eric4good
2014-02-28, 03:57 PM
When dedicated DT was done it was for CS mostly, I am aware combining EcNo readings on HSDPA calls is no an accurate metric, any other ideas to check?

CS call or PS call ? It is important that it is not HSDPA as well

Philippe
2014-02-28, 06:02 PM
Is HSDPA activated on the network? and was there HSDPA traffic during your drive test (meaning customers doing HSDPA so full power used and then degradation of Ec/Io)?
Are the bad Ec/Io everywhere or in localized areas?

electron
2014-02-28, 06:38 PM
Hi,

I personally faced similar problem which was faulty TEMS phone. U may redrive some road again with different equipment and compare the result.

Cheers
When dedicated DT was done it was for CS mostly, I am aware combining EcNo readings on HSDPA calls is no an accurate metric, any other ideas to check?

Philippe
2014-02-28, 06:56 PM
Is the problem with specific phones? Eg Samsung S4? reporting wrong Ec/Io?

daohuyhp
2014-02-28, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I personally faced similar problem which was faulty TEMS phone. U may redrive some road again with different equipment and compare the result.

Cheers

I faced same prolems too. You should change UE and DT again.

dtvt2
2014-02-28, 10:27 PM
you can use tems in scanner mode to check pollution. you can check SC collission
dtvt2

electron
2014-03-01, 12:53 AM
Hi,

Would you please explain the procedure for this or share a sample report?

Cheers
you can use tems in scanner mode to check pollution. you can check SC collission
dtvt2

dtvt2
2014-03-01, 04:28 PM
Hi
- Use tems phone as scanner and analysis based on event: more than 3 strong SC35224

electron
2014-03-01, 05:31 PM
Hi,

May u please give exact address of the Actix property for this purpose usage?

Cheers
Hi
- Use tems phone as scanner and analysis based on event: more than 3 strong SC35224

eric4good
2014-03-02, 04:21 AM
no, and I have tried using two DT tools, investigation and nemo.
QUOTE=Philippe;220427]Is the problem with specific phones? Eg Samsung S4? reporting wrong Ec/Io?[/QUOTE]

eric4good
2014-03-02, 04:29 AM
I have checked but its not totally due to SC pollution, as Ecno values are bad in areas not having pollution, i am also check our PSC plan as we use consecutive codes for cells on same site, like 11,12,13 and we mirror the same psc foe 2nd carrier, could that be an issue affecting quality?

dtvt2

yafawi79
2014-03-02, 01:56 PM
Hi ERIC
What about the RTWP and TCP? is there any sudden increase or degradation on these figures?

shishio
2014-03-02, 07:18 PM
Bad EcNo with good RSCP can be caused by 2 things (barring any equipment issues as experts have pointed out)
1. DL interference such as SC clash or pilot pollution (lack of dominant server), check your SC plan or reduce the number of interfering servers by down tilting some unnecessary sectors. you can confirm this if EcNo is poor, RSCP is good and UE Tx power is low
2. Too high cell cell loading/ high noise or interference floor (check if RTWP and TCP mean values are high as last poster mentioned) you can confirm this if EcNo is poor, RSCP is good and UE Tx power is high, try to balance traffic between F1 and F2, check if any carrier is carrying traffic from afar (overshooting) and reduce its coverage, reduce set value for mobile access power on node b.

pls add rep if comments are useful - black star below left of this post :)