PDA

View Full Version : the most suitable network planning tool for TETRA

makhzanji
2014-02-05, 09:53 PM
What is the most suitable planning tool for TETRA networks? .... A tool that is used for capacity planning (a tool that should take into account the different types of calls in TETRA, such as group calls &private calls), coverage planning, and microwave transmission planning ....

firstmaxim
2014-02-05, 11:21 PM
I figure that Atoll can do the network planning for TETRA as well, provided you get the licence for TETRA support.

primig
2014-02-06, 05:14 AM
Search for this on Google to give you a quick overview:
"Appendix D: TETRA Network Planning (Massimiliano Mattina)"

Excel should be Ok for Link budget and Capacity. A tool can only take care of the parameters you put in, so unless you have access to a manufacturer or supplier data, expect to read through the ETSI spec for the air interface

ICS telecom or even ICS Lt (much cheaper) would be good for coverage calculations and has some examples to follow.
SRTM maps will be OK as a starting point.
There are also free online coverage tools, but I haven't tried them yet; radio mobile online & Xirio, Xiro has an example tetra project in Valencia.
For interference and frequency planning expect to pay a lot more.(ICS LT cant do this).

Frequency planning is more difficult, as far as I know most tools will either use too many frequencies or need to have the output adjusted by hand every few iterations. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!)

Use a tool called Path loss for microwave planning (or ICS again, but most tools can do microwave)

This should give you an idea how to go ahead.

byja
2014-02-06, 06:26 PM
For RF planning: Hydra, Atoll, ICS...
For MW planning: Pathloss, Mentum Ellipse, IQ Link, Atoll (unfortunatelly)
Capacity planning is handled differently depending on technology used for backhaul (ethernet or TDM).

But don't forget that MW transmission planning is my job... :)

primig
2014-02-06, 10:33 PM
For RF planning: Hydra, Atoll, ICS...
:)

Hi byjam
Is Hydra available outside Moto? I couldn't find any documentation on the web.