PDA

View Full Version : Question What if we use antenna such that Horizontal Beamwidth becomes vertical ?

jamesbond
2013-05-25, 03:52 AM
Hi Guys
Just want to know if any of the mate has ever observed RF behaviour using sector antenna by installing it horizontally ( like this: --------) not vertically as per standard.
As far I remember there could be an effect on propagation and the energy may dissipate much and radius could reduce significantly.

babak1349
2013-05-25, 04:33 AM
Hello,
long time ago I saw such kind of installation, the aim was to covering a tall and nearby hotel. I think actually you are converting vertical and horizental pattern of the antenna. it means now you have for example 7 degrees horizental and 65 degrees vertical beam width. All antennas' pattern we receiving from manufacturers are for free space while in real environment, there are a lot of factors which changes the antenna patterns and the major one is reflection
tHere is another point, which is antenna's polarization in the case of cross-polarized antenna, no big deal But when you have linear polarization, it would change by rotating antenna phyiscally

I think the range of the coverage would increase as the vertical beamwidth increases (now 65 degrees) But as horizontal beamwidth reduces, horizontally the coverage would shrink (beamwidth only 7 degrees)

Cheers

Hi Guys
Just want to know if any of the mate has ever observed RF behaviour using sector antenna by installing it horizontally ( like this: --------) not vertically as per standard.
As far I remember there could be an effect on propagation and the energy may dissipate much and radius could reduce significantly.

electron
2013-05-25, 05:02 AM
Practically I used such a solution to cover tall buildings in GSM. In case of horizontal installation we gotta swap vertical and horizontal pattern of antenna (As Babak said) and as we know gain will remain the same in anyway. If you want to know the effect in coverage behavior through prediction based tools i have to say first of all these solutions are for rare cases not for all tall buildings(!) secondly practically we can not 100% forecast the effect by prediction based tools.

Hi Guys

maahsan
2013-05-25, 04:34 PM
I think it is called side-long antenna installation

D33T0X
2013-05-25, 06:00 PM
I've used this solution when the terrain was requiring it. Nothing strange with it - the radius is the same but you cover a very narrow area horizontally. Vertically you cover a huge area. Example: fisherman small village at bottom of cliff and your site is on the cliff. If you mount the antenna "normally" you shoot over that village regardless how much tilt you put on it. Turn the antenna - no problems, very good coverage :)

Hi Guys