PDA

View Full Version : LTE difference between S1 and X2 handover?Which is the best for performance and why?

huawrx
2013-04-17, 06:53 AM
difference between S1 and X2 handover?Which is the best for performance and why?
I know more or less the difference The differences are in these types of handover:

Inter eNodeB handover - It is the handover between two eNodeBs. If the two eNodeBs are connected with same MME, it is preferred to perform X2 based handover but there is no restriction in using S1 based handover even in this case. If two eNodeBs are not connected with same MME, you have to perform S1 based handover even in this case.
Intra eNodeB handover - This is the handover between two cells/sectors of same eNodeB. In this, neither S1 nor X2 based handover is required because this handover is transparent to MME.

but....
Which is the best for performance and why?
I supose Intra en¡NodeB handover because this event neither S1 or X2 is required and this save cost and procedures. are you agree with me??

thanks in advance

scorpion
2013-04-18, 03:09 AM
It depends upon he network architecture, I believe you are not planning to have all eNB connected to same MME/SGW for the entire network.
So the design of eNB to MME/SGW decides which HO is going to be performed. Also depends upon mobility of the users. Ex : 70 % is Dongle customers then imagine that...

If you talk from performance point of view yes X2 HO will be faster. Becoz it is simple...

Anybody having TEMS Log/s covering these two events ?