PDA

View Full Version : Trace v.s. Probes v.s. Drive Tests

TelcoConsultant
2013-03-31, 07:28 PM
Hello guys,
I need your expertise to fully cover one of the hottest topics in optimization and troubleshooting. Most of you already heard about user traces: Huawei CHR/PCHR, E******* GPEH etc. Check Aeixo for example.

I am just wondering when trace data is not enough and an optimization guy needs probe data and/or DT logs.

Trace covers most of the common problem areas:
- Neighbour detection, optimization.
- Geolocation
- VIP Case analyses
- Drop call analyses
- Overshooting cells.

As far as I can see, trace covers nearly all of DT works. If you dont think so, please share your thoughts why? And also please state where probes kick the ass of trace?

I find this quite interesting since trace is already there and in some cases comes completely free with a quite number of samples. I expect this topic a good brainstorming on the subject...

I appreciate your feedback.

elkador
2013-04-06, 05:59 AM
DT is required when you absolutely need either accurate geographical location, or detailed UE trace (QXDM Logs or equivalent).
Probes are more objective than Trace, mainly because not related to a particular vendor, hence more complete in the way they collect 3GPP events. However, if you need some internal events (NodeB and/or RNC) then traces from the vendor is required.

Hope this helps.

mashi123
2013-04-06, 03:15 PM
sometimes on field DT & optimization could lead to different understanding of the problem and could greatly help solve it.
but those are minor cases , most important work can be done using the trace

justdream
2013-04-06, 11:40 PM
Mates,
Could u please share Doc explains how we could use Traces for optimization & analysis?
2G Huawei is preferable :-)

ManuelBelgrano
2013-04-07, 09:52 PM
Mates,
Could u please share Doc explains how we could use Traces for optimization & analysis?
2G Huawei is preferable :-)

I am not sure which vendors do really support 2G GSM from Huawei, but for sure Nastar would do some work and would give you an idea of what is possible.
Have a look at this document.