PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet traffic over SDH equipments

Luka Boroti
2013-02-12, 11:57 PM
Hi friends,

I was testing a leased line that we have and observed that the bandwidth used if transmitted TCP traffic was oscillating to much. If over the line was transmitted UDP the usage was near to the configured one. For the UDP this is normal but for the TCP traffic it was going from 30% up to 70% and oshilating to much. The test was done by Iperf. We have tested another Ethernet lease line that we have over SDH equipments and observed that the bandwidth was very stable even with the TCP traffic. On the Iperf is used for the test only one session so maybe the oscillations are normal.

What is strange for me is how the Ethernet over SDH doesn't have this kind of oscillation?
What i wanted to ask is if anyone has experience with the EoSDH and explain how dropping is controlled in the EoSDH?
Do the SDH equipment have any congestion notification for the end point equipments that are routers and tells them to slowdown when the congestion starts?
Can anyone tell me in which ITU recommendation this is defined if any?

I have checked the ITU-T G.7041 about the GFP but is not cleared for me the mechanism.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Luka

serbesi
2013-02-15, 05:03 PM
Hi friends,

I was testing a leased line that we have and observed that the bandwidth used if transmitted TCP traffic was oscillating to much. If over the line was transmitted UDP the usage was near to the configured one. For the UDP this is normal but for the TCP traffic it was going from 30% up to 70% and oshilating to much. The test was done by Iperf. We have tested another Ethernet lease line that we have over SDH equipments and observed that the bandwidth was very stable even with the TCP traffic. On the Iperf is used for the test only one session so maybe the oscillations are normal.

What is strange for me is how the Ethernet over SDH doesn't have this kind of oscillation?
What i wanted to ask is if anyone has experience with the EoSDH and explain how dropping is controlled in the EoSDH?
Do the SDH equipment have any congestion notification for the end point equipments that are routers and tells them to slowdown when the congestion starts?
Can anyone tell me in which ITU recommendation this is defined if any?

I have checked the ITU-T G.7041 about the GFP but is not cleared for me the mechanism.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Luka

Nice threat , please someone can answer .Very interesting