PDA

View Full Version : TETRA vs iDen

scorpion
2012-09-18, 06:50 PM
What are all the differences between TETRA and iDen and pros and cons please...

dekili
2012-09-19, 01:41 AM
One of the biggest differences is that TETRA is de facto world standard for government agencies networks. It is well defined and standardized, with a number of equipment vendors. Throughputs are from 32kb/s up to 760kb/b. In real life, terminals would use about 80 kb/s i.e. EDGE like throughputs.
Recently, there is a push to use LTE as a new government agencies network technology but it hasn't become alive yet...

scorpion
2012-09-20, 03:57 PM
Thanks dekili,

iDen is still used in US right ? Can you post some details of such commercial carriers ?
I also agree that TETRA is more used by Govt. Agencies across many countries in ASIA. I am not sure about Europe.

dekili
2012-09-21, 04:04 PM
Thanks dekili,

iDen is still used in US right ? Can you post some details of such commercial carriers ?
I also agree that TETRA is more used by Govt. Agencies across many countries in ASIA. I am not sure about Europe.

In Europe TETRA is exclusive network for govrnment agencies. Links about the TETRA recommedations is http://www.etsi.org/website/technologies/tetra.aspx/
I am in Europe so I can't give you detailes about iDen from first hand. You might find some info in TETRA section of the forum. It is true that it is mostly deployed in US and on small number of places outside US.
cheers,

dekili

zeuscane
2012-09-21, 04:27 PM
iDEN is a TDMA based digital mobile network system developed by ******** and used most notably by Nextel in the United States.
Its main draw, from the consumer's viewpoint, is its low-latency Push-To-Talk system that emulates the use of walkie-talkies on mobile phones.
The system's future is uncertain, however, since US carrier Sprint bought Nextel and stated that it plans on transitioning all Nextel clients to its
CDMA based network. Dual-mode iDEN/CDMA handsets are already available to Sprint customers.

zeuscane

scorpion
2012-09-21, 09:46 PM
http://gigaom.com/mobile/sprint-nextel-network-will-go-offline-in-13-months/

By 2013 Sprint is closing iDen and moving all customers to their CDMA Platform