PDA

View Full Version : WCDMA congestion at mass events

m121
2012-07-25, 04:15 PM
Hi,
I would like to ask for your advice how do you handle congestion and 3G system overload at mass events.
CEs, IuB, DL power, even Ec/No etc are not congested/good, bottleneck is in UL interference.
I understand that in normal situation it always will be a bottleneck but maybe you have some tricks up your sleeve how to optimize it and squeeze even more traffic from 3G cells without adding new sites or other "standard" "lazy" NPOs actions?
Nowadays smartphones with their short data transmissions every few seconds are killing me even in normal situations and mass events are pain in the ass when everybody expects 3G coverage without any disturbances. :Q:Q:Q

Mdaf
2012-07-26, 08:06 AM
what event we are talking about, open area?, stadium. what? how many subscribers are expected how the customers are distributed, how many cells will be serving in the event 2G/3G?, how many frequencies you have? what about 2G status in the event. whats your vendor?.
initially disable HSUPA during the event and use lower DCH return channel initial bit rate!!!!
if capacity is main issue you can go for aggressive settings for ul & dl AC. you can use lower AMR codecs for voice (on the expense of quality), if 2G situation is OK you can use load ISHO mechanisms or even directed setup from 3G to 2G (leave 3g for data)

m121
2012-07-26, 03:06 PM
Yes, mainly open areas with very high customer density (like a fish in a barrel) with 10k-20k sometimes even more customers with 50% 3G phone penetration and 1-5 cells covering the area with 2 frequencies in all cells.
Vendor is NSN and 2G is near congestion (it's not congested but very near it so pushing traffic to it is out of question).
Yes, about HSUPA is very good idea, at the next event we will try it, thanks.
Regarding UL AC settings maybe you can propose some, because this is the main thing thats limiting more traffic.

Muhammad Imran Rafique
2012-07-27, 08:19 PM
Hi m121,

Look in our network we were suffering badly during big events especially football matches, we tried all above options i.e agressive admission settings, EUL, directed retry etc.

In the end really our 2G-3G balance via idle mode parameters helped. I.e we changed Fddqmin and few cells we totally removed the 3G reselection option. But it was just during the matches.

You can also try and let us know if still you find congestion.

BR//
Imran