PDA

View Full Version : Mycom optimisation tools

tyberry
2012-05-18, 12:30 AM
Hi All,

I want to ask people about Mycom optimisation tools.

Does any one have experience of using these tools? What is the reason why operators choose Mycom? Do the RAN vendors, E*******, NSN, Hauwei etc not have the capabilities offered in Mycom tool?

I'm trying to establish the what is the differentiator for Mycom, is it some new technology, some clever way to do run correlations on the KPIs etc? Why operators choose Mycom?

It will be interesting to see your views, as I believe may be in the past Vendors didnt have good KPI tools before but now all of them have good tools which are even positioned as 'mutli-vendor and vendor agnostic' so what are your views about this?

Many thanks,

hartono
2013-04-29, 12:55 PM
The NEMs do not have multi-vendor capability. That's basically it.

TelcoConsultant
2013-04-30, 04:27 PM
Wow, this is a quite old question remained unanswered huh. Thanks hartono to bring this up.

To begin with MYCOM is not an optimisation tool, Performance Management Product. The capabilities not offered by a Vendor is quite simple and big: MYCOM can collect data from every vendor, technology domain whereas vendors are not supposed to do so. Think about an operator:

BSC: Huawei + ERI
RNC: ZTE + NSN
MME: Huawei + NSN
MSC: ERI
GGSN: Cisco
IPTV: ALU + Microsoft
IP: Juniper
WiFi: Linksys
ADSL: XYZ
PSTN: Nortel

So, we are not in the old good days, a CSP needs to keep an eye on everything. 2G, 3G, LTE, Wimax, IPTV, fixed, core, tranport... One vendor can not provide all these (maybe HWI can :D) nor a CSP will go for one vendor for all of them but still needs them to be under control. That is where 3rd party companies gets into the picture.

What is the differentiatior for MYCOM's product (Proptima). There are no best of course, always pros and cons. From my pov, Proptima is quite good, I have surveyed some reports comparing Performance Management solutions and Mycom is mostly #1 or #2. Real E2E, supports amazing number of different vendors and quite fast and reliable. I have seen some operators using MYCOM, they seems happy and they usually have long history with Tier1 operators, which can be seen as a good reference for them. HP is using their product for PM, and they hit the news during Barcelona having VF India (I guess this will be one of the biggest deployment in the business thinking size of the operator.)

In this domain there are Aircom (old giant, now quite behind the change), Schema (Teoco), InfoVista (I hear they are also good), Nexus etc... Most of these are also providing RNO tools, Geolocation, SON like stuff etc...

And as general PM providers: IBM and HP (not anymore, since they are not developing anymore and using MYCOM products), and EMC (they acquired Watch4Net) and many more...

As I said there is no best but overall I did not hear any dealbreaker complaints from MYCOM users, they are pretty happy. And again, MYCOM shall not be taken as an optimization tool, it can be positioned as "End to End MultiVendor MultiTechnology Performance Management Product." (I love to say this)

Hope this help.