PDA

View Full Version : Question PS Paging Improvment on E//

Spider
2012-05-01, 01:20 PM
Hi All, Actually i'm facing low PS paging sucess rate near 78% on E// RNC. What are the different ways to investigate and improve this low value.

Thanks in advance.

gprastomo
2012-05-01, 03:36 PM
1. Need to check the LAC RAC mapping
2. Need to check the PCH load and congestion
3. Need to clean up all types of congestion
4. Maybe coverage issue (signal strength, or quality)

Muhammad Imran Rafique
2012-05-01, 04:36 PM
Hi gprastomo,
Let say we dont have congestion and area is Dense urban, What is the possibility and impact if we change PCH & PICH power.

Have anybody tried it? We are thinking to do trial here.

BR//
Imran

ninjafine
2012-05-01, 11:20 PM
Hi! I would first try to investigate where the problem is located (radio, core, etc.). Do you have same LA for this RA? If so does CS paging for this LA have good success rate?
Do you have problem in Idle mode or in Ura_Pch as well?

Spider
2012-05-02, 12:34 PM
Hi ninja, to answer you, we have one LAC and 4 RACs per RNC, CS paging is also near 80%. for the last question how can i check if the problem is in URA_PCH or Idle mode?

gprastomo
2012-05-02, 03:38 PM
Hi,

i dont prefer to increase the PCH power, i think there is another issue.
1. Try to increase the RACH power by increasing the constant value
2. try to check the timer paging in mss to wait 2nd paging probably you need to increase it.

Spider
2012-05-23, 03:09 PM
Hi guys, URA_PCH is not implemented in our network, i'll try to focus on the PCH load, but can the MP load affects the paging SR? from counters we don't have too many rejects due to MP load.

freakturd06
2012-06-23, 02:44 AM
This guide might give you idea.

http://www.finetopix.com/showthread.php?30485-E-Paging-Performance-Improvement-Guidelines&highlight=paging+lac

senjamir
2012-06-23, 06:01 AM
Hi,

Can you check the number of paging attempt in core?You can then mapped it in RNC by checking the number of pages based on the following counters
a. pmCnInitPagingToIdleUe
b. pmCnInitPagingToIdleUeLa
c. pmCnInitPagingToIdleUeRa
Then once you have that information. Check the paging deletion based on the following categories
a. pmNoPageDiscardCmpLoadC - deletion to due high processing in MPLoad
b. pmNoPagingAttemptUtranRejected - rejected by UTRAN
You can improve the paging in the RNC by modifying the parameter pagingretransmission you can set it to 4 to increase the paging success.

Hope this helps,
Sen

Muhammad Imran Rafique
2012-06-23, 11:42 PM
For PS, reduce your DRX cycle length to 6 as for CS. then definitely there will be improvement.

Spider
2012-06-27, 02:01 PM
For PS, reduce your DRX cycle length to 6 as for CS. then definitely there will be improvement.

Thanks Muhammad, can you be more specific about the impact of changing the DRX cycle to 6?

deepakels
2012-08-04, 07:56 PM
Hi Dear,

Reports of PS paging SR from RAN and from CS core would be different. From CS core ,Paging SR would be higher than the paging SR report collected from RAN.
I will concentrate on how to optimize paging at RAN level when having a smartphone profile
Imp counters
a. pmCnInitPagingToIdleUe
b. pmCnInitPagingToIdleUeLa
c. pmCnInitPagingToIdleUeRa

a. pmNoPageDiscardCmpLoadC - deletion to due high processing in MPLoad

The networks where you have high number of smartphone users, then you need to be very technical while designing the number of Routing areas per RNC
Increasing RA per RNC wourld reduce the paging load per cell per sec but too many RA per RNC may increase the signalling load of SGSN
Here are the general recommendations:

Keep the paging load per cell per sec < 100 ( check the value of pagetype1 counter and divide by number of cells in that RA and divide again by the value of parameter "pageretransmission" which is generally set to 2 "
Keep 1 LAC for 60000 VLR subscribers per LAC in an RNC otherwise have 2 LAC

In Networks where smartphone users are in good count, the 1st thing to suspect the dimensioning of Paging parameters at RAN level are below
pmNoPageDiscardCmpLoadC - deletion to due high processing in MPLoad

If both these above counters are pegging high especially pmnopagingattemptutranrejected, then you need to reduce the paging load per cell per sec and the solution is to split RA further
In smartphone dominated networks, generally 85% percent of Paging (pmCnInitPagingToIdleUeRa) is on RA and 15% is on pmCnInitPagingToIdleUeLa.
SGSN pages on basis of LAC+RA
CS core pages on basis of LAC only

hence splitting RA only would give you more releif from paging load at cell level

For more details send me e=mail at deepakels@gmail.com

Please add to reputations if you like this post

BR//Deepak