PDA

View Full Version : hard handover of CS part of multiRAB RAB from NSN RNC

Femto
2011-09-30, 09:54 PM
Hi,

Can somebody with NSN RNC expertise explain how the NSN RNC can be explained to handover CS part of a CS+PS (R99 or HSDPA) RAB when the target RNC doesn't support PS hand-in.

Femto
2011-10-03, 05:47 PM
Can someone please comment on this?

jan74
2011-10-04, 10:11 PM
Hi,

Can somebody with NSN RNC expertise explain how the NSN RNC can be explained to handover CS part of a CS+PS (R99 or HSDPA) RAB when the target RNC doesn't support PS hand-in.

You can try to change your FMCS/I settings to allow HO for RTWithHSPA. Once this is done, you may well find that when you enter the DRNC, that the PS call will drop but the CS may stay alive. This is what we have seen for ISHO where ISHO is not supported for the PS. Have you not got SRNS Relocation for CS enabled?

Femto
2011-10-05, 05:39 PM
You can try to change your FMCS/I settings to allow HO for RTWithHSPA. Once this is done, you may well find that when you enter the DRNC, that the PS call will drop but the CS may stay alive. This is what we have seen for ISHO where ISHO is not supported for the PS. Have you not got SRNS Relocation for CS enabled?

Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified that the target RNC is not NSN and it doesn't support PS hand-in. Isn't there any way the NSN RNC can be told this so that it drops the PS part of the call before initiating the SRNS relocation?

jan74
2011-10-05, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified that the target RNC is not NSN and it doesn't support PS hand-in. Isn't there any way the NSN RNC can be told this so that it drops the PS part of the call before initiating the SRNS relocation?

I suspect that this will work anyway. I dont know of any way to drop the PS session purposely before entering the new RNC. I wanted to do this with ISHO where we could not bring the PS part of the call from 3G to 2G but found no way of doing it. However, we found that the PS just dropped anyway and the voice stayed up. It might be worth enabling it and doing a trial to see what happens?

Femto
2011-10-05, 06:59 PM
I suspect that this will work anyway. I dont know of any way to drop the PS session purposely before entering the new RNC. I wanted to do this with ISHO where we could not bring the PS part of the call from 3G to 2G but found no way of doing it. However, we found that the PS just dropped anyway and the voice stayed up. It might be worth enabling it and doing a trial to see what happens?

If I just let it go there is risk that the core network may fail the relocation if the target RNC accepts CS RABs but not PS RABs.

jan74
2011-10-05, 07:04 PM
If I just let it go there is risk that the core network may fail the relocation if the target RNC accepts CS RABs but not PS RABs.

There is a risk but it might work. As I said, it works for ISHO. I dont know of any feature that can make your PS session drop prematurely. It might be worth asking NSN but I doubt it exists. If it were me, I would trial it, drive test it and turn it off after a couple of hours to see results. You would need both drive tests and stats. Stats could show failures(because they are failures as your PS will drop) but if the Drive test shows the CS handover works, then its ok.

ltecity
2011-10-05, 07:26 PM
same as above i 100% sure with above

boring
2011-10-05, 10:14 PM
what is the vendor of the target RNC which does not support incoming PS calls?

Femto
2011-10-06, 11:31 PM
what is the vendor of the target RNC which does not support incoming PS calls?

It's actually a Cisco home NB gateway so it's not exactly an RNC but from the core network point of view it is an RNC with normal Iu interfaces.

wolverine
2011-10-07, 08:59 PM
It is actually possible, but NSN will have to develop some additonal functionality to cater for this scenario. They will also charge you for it :). Raise it with your local NSN technical account manager.