PDA

View Full Version : Why asymmetric splitters?

proy1_10
2011-09-21, 06:17 PM
Hi!,

I 've one question: Why to use an asymmetric splitter in radio links (usually 1:10)?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

BR

zlobster
2011-09-21, 08:21 PM
Hi!,

I 've one question: Why to use an asymmetric splitter in radio links (usually 1:10)?

BR

Uhm, for example if you want less power in the other branch? :lol That's attenuation for free.
Pls specify what do you mean by 'radio link'. Maybe the feeders system?

dekili
2011-09-21, 08:47 PM
Hi!,

BR

For in-building systems you tend to have EIRP from antennas that is not more in difference than 5dB in order to avoid interference, to have good HSDPA service etc. Also, you will have main route to other antennas where you will distribute signal as well so majority of power goes to other antennas.
cheers,

proy1_10
2011-09-21, 11:28 PM
@zlobster

No, no sorry... Only for microwaves

byja
2011-09-22, 05:30 AM
It's not 1:10, it's usually slightly better.

And they're used almost exclusively for HSB links. Logic is simple - why waste precious dBs for standby unit, when you can put asymm splitter and have nice margin without losing too much on splitters alone.

For example, we have two types of splitters: symm with 3.5 : 3.5 dB and asymm with 1.5 : 6.5 dB. With symm you lose 7 dBs on margin, whereas with asymm you lose 3 dBs. Those 4 dBs make a difference between 2.4 and 1.8 antenna. Save money on CAPEX (cheaper antenna, weaker tower), save money on OPEX (less money for antenna rent on tower for example).

And in case one of the main radio units breaks down, you're down to 8 dBs loss on splitters, but it won't matter much cause you're gonna fix this radio soon enough.

Asymm splitters can also be used for FD configurations, but that's another story.