PDA

View Full Version : Activation of the URA_PCH

gogotchiya83
2011-09-09, 05:00 PM
In order to activate the URA_PCH It is required to set URA Identities for all the cells of the RNC before activating the URA_PCH State (otherwise the activation will fail). have you any idea about how to plan the URA identity for my cells?
i know that the value should be a List of 8 maximum elements of Integer in range [0..65535] for each cell ...what else?

Kirill Kucherov
2011-09-09, 06:12 PM
My ideas for planning URA_id:

1. Same id - for a cluster of cells, but not for all. Purpose - to reduce the rate of URA updates. But if clusters are extremely large paging becomes less efficient: more cells in same URA_ids - more paging signalling broadcasts through all cells of this URA_id - increase in load.

2. Overlapping - i.e. bordering cells must have id-s of both clusters. Purpose - to avoid flapping or ping-pong of URA updates. Commonly, 2-3 URA_IDs for one cell is enough, howevever - everything is individual - you can have a need of more IDs per cell. All depends on your plan.

aygo
2012-02-16, 04:47 AM
hi all

how to activate URA_PCH, there are detailed instructions, the vendor E / / /?
how to plan URA_PCH?
how a signaling to increase the load on the CPU RNC? for my network is already a significant problem.
how to increase the paging load ?

Please share your experiences
thanks

gprastomo
2012-02-16, 03:29 PM
Hi,

TO plan URA PCH, you can use CELL PCH data as initial, since the procedure is almost the same, in CELL PCH the paging will be based on cell but each time cell reselection there will be cell update in PS Connected IDLE or PCH.
So initially better to map the number of cell updates in CELL PCH and also consider cell reselection as well, then you define a specific range. SO you will be able to see, which area of cells having high cell updates -> its means high mobility so it will be high signalling -> this will be merged into 1 URA -> if it is too large you can divide into 2 - 3 URA.

This wil reduce the high amount of signalling. but your paging load will increase but make sure your URA is not soo big

br

s52d
2012-02-16, 03:38 PM
In order to activate the URA_PCH It is required to set URA Identities for all the cells of the RNC before activating the URA_PCH State (otherwise the activation will fail). have you any idea about how to plan the URA identity for my cells?
i know that the value should be a List of 8 maximum elements of Integer in range [0..65535] for each cell ...what else?
Hi!

Some networks I know put whole LA into one URA. As number of terminals in URA_PCH is relatively small,
there is no big impact on paging. It is other signalling where you save RNC CPU capacity.

We monitor number of URA_PCH terminals in LAC/RNC: as soon us paging become an issue,
we will start splitting. SPlit criteria is simple: minimize mobility between different URA
by selecting URA properly (like mini-LAC) and allocating more URA to cells needing it.
Anyhow, having more URA in the cell increase paging.

Otherwise, it works fine. Looks like our vendor finally managed to fix all problems with old terminals,
and tehre are no problems visible to users. (just use fresh enough SW release and do not worry about wrong stats).

BR
s52d

boring
2012-02-16, 04:38 PM
@s52d

you mentioned that the number of terminals in URA_PCH is relatively small.

why you say that? i would think that all UEs which are on a packet call (especially all smartphones) at some point they will end-up at the URA_PCH state.
to my understanding for a mature networks with lots of always-on UEs, their number will be even larger than the number of UEs in idle_mode.

cheers
b

gprastomo
2012-02-16, 06:13 PM
Usually when you have hsdpa/r99 modem or smartphone like blakcberry, iphon, andro, which always ps connected so the PCH state will be utilized, so the number of PCH states either URA or Cell PCH will be larger.
But if you dont activate the HS RRC State, so there will be no PCH state or even FACH, it willl be disconnected at all, and all typical smartphone is always trying to connect when it is disconnected so this will consume huge signalling when the RRC state is disable.

s52d
2012-02-17, 04:56 AM
@s52d

you mentioned that the number of terminals in URA_PCH is relatively small.

why you say that? i would think that all UEs which are on a packet call (especially all smartphones) at some point they will end-up at the URA_PCH state.
to my understanding for a mature networks with lots of always-on UEs, their number will be even larger than the number of UEs in idle_mode.

cheers
b

Relatively small compared to idle terminals. It takes some activity to stay on URA_PCH....
Very high compared to Videtelephony usage.

Anyhow: for me, one URA per LAC is OK today. Paging is not limiting me
(with common BSS/UTRAN LA, BSS is paging limit factor).

BR
s52d