PDA

View Full Version : High UL CE Utilization

tthach830
2011-09-03, 02:49 AM
I have about 10 sites that are experiencing High UL CE Utilization(greater than 70%) during BH.

I am thinking adding additional Rax board since I am not congesting on anything else(Power or Code).

What is the best way to relief this issue?

roots
2011-09-03, 04:43 AM
Tray to add more channel element to sites congested

jan74
2011-09-07, 11:09 PM
I have about 10 sites that are experiencing High UL CE Utilization(greater than 70%) during BH.

I am thinking adding additional Rax board since I am not congesting on anything else(Power or Code).

What is the best way to relief this issue?

If you do not want to add hardware, reduce the Max Allowed UL PS Bearer from 384kbps. They take up a lot of Channel Elements.

dk2000
2011-09-08, 02:59 PM
hi,

Which vendor are you using?

If huawei equipment is used, the UL CE congestion happens when a lot of HSUPA user.

Solution:
- Down tilt this one to reduce coverage.
- Monitor traffic for 1 week and decide to upgrade hardware.

Kirill Kucherov
2011-09-08, 03:25 PM
hi,

Which vendor are you using?

If huawei equipment is used, the UL CE congestion happens when a lot of HSUPA user.

Solution:
- Down tilt this one to reduce coverage.
- Monitor traffic for 1 week and decide to upgrade hardware.

...and if vendor is NSN UL CE overutilisation could happen even without HSUPA being ativated. Actually, it's quite often becomes a bottle neck.

In my my opininon, for good users' experience,upgrading CEs is the right decision. However, if I faced 70% of CE usage I would do nothing until at least regular 85-90 % utilisation. But its my subjective point of view.

By the way, if you use Huawei, there is a opportunity to disribute CEs among DL and UL. In other words - take from DL and add to UL. This can be done by Vendor in response to your request.

TechCrunch
2011-09-08, 03:53 PM
It also worthwhile to check the UE release distriution in the cell. High UL Ce usage is also a result of high Rel5 UE penetration , which is a result of return channels being used which has normally a setting of PS384. best option is to upgrade CE so no performance impact , or reduce the PS max bit rate to 128 which should consume half the amount consumed by PS384.

jan74
2011-09-08, 06:24 PM
There is another possibility, at least if you are using NSN kit. If you have two LCGH's and Release 2 Hardware, you can share out your CE's to give more to the busier carrier/cell. We did it recently where we assigned 70% of the CE to HS and 30% to voice. It worked out very well.

Kirill Kucherov
2011-09-08, 07:37 PM
There is another possibility, at least if you are using NSN kit. If you have two LCGH's and Release 2 Hardware, you can share out your CE's to give more to the busier carrier/cell. We did it recently where we assigned 70% of the CE to HS and 30% to voice. It worked out very well.

Hi!

Do you mean LCG - Local Cell Grouping? Or what 'H' stands for in your LCGH?

I know about opportunity to tune Access baseband capacity to dedicate BB capacity among LCGs and Dedicated baseband capacity for CE license capacity usage. The idea is to reserve some CE for defined carriers/cell. Am I right? (Commonly used in MORANs, by the way)

However, could you please specify sharing between types of service? (HS - you mean HSPA?). Nevertheless, as I understand, it is still not possible to share CE between UL and DL (at NSN), is it?
And one more question - is such CE dedication possible for single f.e. FSMD? Or it is obligatory to have Extension System Module additionally?

jan74
2011-09-08, 07:56 PM
Hi!

Do you mean LCG - Local Cell Grouping? Or what 'H' stands for in your LCGH?

I know about opportunity to tune Access baseband capacity to dedicate BB capacity among LCGs and Dedicated baseband capacity for CE license capacity usage. The idea is to reserve some CE for defined carriers/cell. Am I right? (Commonly used in MORANs, by the way)

However, could you please specify sharing between types of service? (HS - you mean HSPA?). Nevertheless, as I understand, it is still not possible to share CE between UL and DL (at NSN), is it?
And one more question - is such CE dedication possible for single f.e. FSMD? Or it is obligatory to have Extension System Module additionally?

Sorry about that, the "H" was a typo. I did mean Local Cell Group. I'm not aware that you can share your CE cpacity amongst services. However, in our case, we have HS on one carrier and Voice on another. Therefore, we are able to do it. We are not a MORAN but we found it useful in some situations where data demand was heavy on CE capacity. You should be able to share CE between carriers if you use FSMDs as they are release 2 HW. Sharing between UL and DL is not possible as far as I know.

Other possibilities are to limit the UL return channels to 128k or something like that. Also, do you have extended cell by default? If so, you lose another 27 CE per cell. Finally, you could consider looking at your parameters for Throughput Based Optimisation (TBO). You may be hanging onto resources that are not needed for too long. Downgrading quicker to a lower bearer will save you some CE.

Kirill Kucherov
2011-09-08, 08:59 PM
However, in our case, we have HS on one carrier and Voice on another.

Oh, now it's clear - firstly I supposed you were talking about services.
And, probably, not only voice, but NRT R99 as well - on one carrier, and HSPA - on another. Am I right?

Sharing between UL and DL is not possible as far as I know.

Yeah, same as I know.

And agree with all other.

Thanks for clarifying your idea.

jan74
2011-09-08, 09:20 PM
Oh, now it's clear - firstly I supposed you were talking about services.
And, probably, not only voice, but NRT R99 as well - on one carrier, and HSPA - on another. Am I right?

Yeah, same as I know.

And agree with all other.

Thanks for clarifying your idea.

Yes, CS plus PS R99 on one carrier and HS plus PS R99 on the other carrier. At least that is the aim.