PDA

View Full Version : Simultate the efect of a building - Obstruction

jkpllan3
2011-08-28, 06:43 AM
Is there a way to simulate the effect of a building in a propagation model?

Here the history:

Right now I need to relocate a site (tower, indoor equipment). The place that was proposed by the administration is practically in front of a high building. I need to simulate the effect of the obstruction of the building so I can "justify" in a way they can understand how bad is going to be the coverage of one sector.

Is it possible with Atoll or other planning software?

Femto_Engineer
2011-08-28, 06:45 AM
You can use a radio propagation simulator to show the effects of building obstruction.

jkpllan3
2011-08-28, 11:42 AM
I searched for that software without result. Could you be more specific?

I appreciate your help...

borelij
2011-10-21, 09:30 PM
It's very easy infact. Just draw new polygon (in shape of your building) and assign appropriate clutter class (existing like dense urban or new) with estimated height.

Than use some prop model which is considering clutters...

dekili
2011-11-07, 06:05 AM
Hi,

any tool can do what you are looking for if you have 3D building models and deterministic propagation model. You can draw polygons in MapInfo and create building layer for that small area that you are analyzing. Depending on the tool that you already have, read instruction how to make building layer. The trouble is that it is different from tool to tool.
After that, you can use from ray tracing to any other deterministic model, depending on the frequency and effect that you want to model. In example, ray tracing is good for this small area because it will not take to long but you can use any other model that will take into account diffraction, e.g. multi-knife edge Deygout.
Cheers

lejun
2011-11-07, 09:36 AM
Is there a way to simulate the effect of a building in a propagation model?

Here the history:

Right now I need to relocate a site (tower, indoor equipment). The place that was proposed by the administration is practically in front of a high building. I need to simulate the effect of the obstruction of the building so I can "justify" in a way they can understand how bad is going to be the coverage of one sector.

Is it possible with Atoll or other planning software?
Hi,

You can use Volcano, have a plug in for Atoll (shared in our forum).

But you need map data (height building map).

Regards

proy1_10
2011-11-07, 03:52 PM
ICS Telecom has an engine to 3D ray tracing maybe useful for you

dekili
2011-11-07, 10:35 PM
Hi,

all tools do have ray tracing. In the case of Atoll, you will need Volcano, Asset is also using Vulcano, ICS is having their own ray tracing, EDX has their own ray tracing engine (with 2D, 3D ray tracing and selection of number of rays to be transmitted). In example, ATDi, specifies that only one reflection is accounted because all other components reflected more than once add to the signal no more than 1-2dB. Nice (ex Hexagon) is having its own ray tracing engine. That is why the tool itself is not so critical. Just check for the tool that you have if you need to purchase ray tracing or not. You can use SRTM maps to create DTM that you need for the tool that you are using. Then, make polygons (buildings) in MapInfo and add polygons to the DTM.
Ray tracing is interesting if you are looking at the level of micro planning. To have full benefits from ray tracing, you will need to know materials that were used for the building exterior (in order to have precise power calculation) so take into consideration that ray tracing will not provide completly accurate results. So, if you cannot get to the ray tracing, use any other model that you have in your tool that takes into consideration diffraction. You will get results that will show some shadows behind the building and lower signal levels. If you just need to prove the concept - this will do the job almost same as ray tracing.
Cheers

dmitry28
2011-11-14, 09:05 PM
A calculation model of Crosswave give here a picture of the cover
http://dc374.4shared.com/img/bf7kLN0T/crosswave.jpg (http://www.4shared.com/photo/bf7kLN0T/crosswave.html)