PDA

View Full Version : BER Problem

harrypotter
2011-08-25, 04:16 AM
Anyone knows what is BER -6 and BER -3 detailed technical explanation? I am having this alarm problem in our transmission network. Any inputs are highly appreicated.

byja
2011-08-25, 06:07 AM
As the name implies, it means that you're having bit errors on your link with rates 10^-3 or 10^-6.
If you can share some more details, maybe we could help you.

harrypotter
2011-08-25, 01:26 PM
I need a inputs brother. I know they are bit error, but what is the difference between the two. Any thoughtS? ideas?

byja
2011-08-25, 03:28 PM
What alarm exactly are you having? What equipment are you using? How does this alarm or state of the link affect your network?

mandeel2010
2011-08-25, 10:57 PM
Hi

Protection of digital microwave system may vary depending on the proportion of digital data the system is to transmit. If most or all the data is pulse-code modulated (PCM) voice and the PCM channel-bank synchronization is the level of
protection desired, a BER of 10-3 may be appropriate. If the system is to transmit a large proportion of digital input data the system should be protected to a BER rate of 10-6 or better. In either case, the final acceptable interference level must be based on information from the manufacturer of the equipment unless a C/I
that includes an acceptable fade margin for the system can be met A bit error rate of 10-3 is considered to be the outage threshold (analogous to 55 dBrnc0), and 10-6 is considered the quality threshold (switching will usually be attempted at a BER of 10-6

harrypotter
2011-08-26, 03:45 AM
Hi

Protection of digital microwave system may vary depending on the proportion of digital data the system is to transmit. If most or all the data is pulse-code modulated (PCM) voice and the PCM channel-bank synchronization is the level of
protection desired, a BER of 10-3 may be appropriate. If the system is to transmit a large proportion of digital input data the system should be protected to a BER rate of 10-6 or better. In either case, the final acceptable interference level must be based on information from the manufacturer of the equipment unless a C/I
that includes an acceptable fade margin for the system can be met A bit error rate of 10-3 is considered to be the outage threshold (analogous to 55 dBrnc0), and 10-6 is considered the quality threshold (switching will usually be attempted at a BER of 10-6

Thanks mandeel... better explanation. Appreciate it, this input is what I need. :rolleyes:

harrypotter
2011-08-26, 03:46 AM
What alarm exactly are you having? What equipment are you using? How does this alarm or state of the link affect your network?

Thanks.. Mandeel already gave the answer to my question.