PDA

View Full Version : .bmp map in Mapinfo

Piscean21
2011-08-06, 09:42 PM
Can somebody guide me plz how to use .bmp map generated from Universal Map Down-loader in Mapinfo?

josogun2
2011-08-06, 10:47 PM
Can somebody guide me plz how to use .bmp map generated from Universal Map Down-loader in Mapinfo?
You have to use global mapper to generate vector before trying to load it in MI

Stantheman
2011-08-06, 11:11 PM
go open tab and then change the slection to raster file type (which includes bmp) you will then need to geo-reference it (Image Registration) and nominate the correct projection (say Lat Lon - WGS84).

You certinaly do not have to vectorise the bmp file, MapInfo can handle raster images OK.

Piscean21
2011-08-06, 11:48 PM
go open tab and then change the slection to raster file type (which includes bmp) you will then need to geo-reference it (Image Registration) and nominate the correct projection (say Lat Lon - WGS84).

You certinaly do not have to vectorise the bmp file, MapInfo can handle raster images OK.

Thanks for your reply but i am still unable to view the map on Mapinfo:(

Rooster[BG]
2011-08-07, 12:37 AM
Universal Map Downloader creates small text file (log file) with the coordinate boundaries of the images it downloads (a little different from the ccordinate you entered in the program).

Using these 4 coordinate boundaries you can Register the .bmp and use it in MapInfo.

josogun2
2011-08-07, 03:16 AM
Thanks for your reply but i am still unable to view the map on Mapinfo:(
if that is what you want select file type and then you can open.

Piscean21
2011-08-07, 02:11 PM
if that is what you want select file type and then you can open.

I want to use the map with actual coordinates:(

rimoucha
2011-08-07, 11:46 PM
Hello,

You should georeference the raster image in order to have the geographic coordinates.
Attached is the procedure explaining how to georeference a raster image.
Hope it helps:)

BR,

Piscean21
2011-08-10, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies and assistance. Actually I was doing all the steps right but while registering the image I was using coordinates from Mapinfo directly.Now I have sorted out and added co-ordinates from Google Earth directly and it works(don't know why it didn't work with Mapinfo coordinates)