PDA

View Full Version : How easy/difficult/normal for CDMA experience engr. to settle in GSM

jamesbond
2011-07-09, 07:59 PM
Hi all
Tell me that how easy/difficult/normal for CDMA experience engr. to settle in GSM?
For exp an Engr. with 5 to 6 yrs experience with planning and optimization want to come to GSM?
Share your own experience if any or your knowledge with practical example if you have.

Thanks guys...
BR

nimopaul
2011-07-13, 03:30 AM
Hi all
Tell me that how easy/difficult/normal for CDMA experience engr. to settle in GSM?
For exp an Engr. with 5 to 6 yrs experience with planning and optimization want to come to GSM?
Share your own experience if any or your knowledge with practical example if you have.

Thanks guys...
BR

Being honest, "Don't waste your time". If you are really good in CDMA, you will soon get fed up with GSM. It will be like, you change your color TV with a black and white one. Rather, you should look forward for UMTS.

Few Practical Difficulties which i faced.
1. Difficult in digesting HO mode, Neighbor List. In GSM it's all HHO. A CDMA optimizer will always plan the neighbor in order to avoid in-band interference.
2. The network quality depends on the frequency plan, where as the CDMA network quality is maintained based on Radio Resource Algorithms and avoiding other cell interference.
3. In GSM, every resource will be assigned based on slots in shared mode, where as in CDMA, resources are allocated as 'dedicated'
4. The GSM system is 'asynchronous' and CDMA is 'synchronous'. so the frame alignment concept is different.
5. In GSM, we are least bothered about uplink, where as, for a CDMA optimizer, uplink is the most concerned link.

To summarize, GSM is very old technology and simple. CDMA 1X is much more advanced. If you are really serious, then forget your CDMA and start learning from the scratch.

R's
Nimo

adewijaya
2011-07-13, 07:07 AM
Being honest, "Don't waste your time". If you are really good in CDMA, you will soon get fed up with GSM. It will be like, you change your color TV with a black and white one. Rather, you should look forward for UMTS.

Few Practical Difficulties which i faced.
1. Difficult in digesting HO mode, Neighbor List. In GSM it's all HHO. A CDMA optimizer will always plan the neighbor in order to avoid in-band interference.
2. The network quality depends on the frequency plan, where as the CDMA network quality is maintained based on Radio Resource Algorithms and avoiding other cell interference.
3. In GSM, every resource will be assigned based on slots in shared mode, where as in CDMA, resources are allocated as 'dedicated'
4. The GSM system is 'asynchronous' and CDMA is 'synchronous'. so the frame alignment concept is different.
5. In GSM, we are least bothered about uplink, where as, for a CDMA optimizer, uplink is the most concerned link.

To summarize, GSM is very old technology and simple. CDMA 1X is much more advanced. If you are really serious, then forget your CDMA and start learning from the scratch.

R's
Nimo

Good Opinion, there is nothing if you take backward technology. Another way is you must go to 3G (WCDMA) or LTE