PDA

View Full Version : Question HSDPA Congestion Control

kema2103
2011-07-07, 06:13 PM
Hi,

does anyone has experience if HSDPA Congestion Control is activated on RNC/Node B side in order to get better performance on Iub interfance.

Short info: The purpose of the HSDPA Congestion Control feature is to maintain the maximum Iub load without causing a congestion situation. (detailed information attached in txt file)

thanks in advance for info.

jan74
2011-07-07, 07:09 PM
Hi,

does anyone has experience if HSDPA Congestion Control is activated on RNC/Node B side in order to get better performance on Iub interfance.

Short info: The purpose of the HSDPA Congestion Control feature is to maintain the maximum Iub load without causing a congestion situation. (detailed information attached in txt file)

We tried it and it failed so we shelved it. Its a good while ago now but it was not working properly.

kema2103
2011-07-07, 07:16 PM
We tried it and it failed so we shelved it. Its a good while ago now but it was not working properly.

Thanks for feedback, did you try to do something else in order to prove better performance on Iub interface where you get success?

MO has activated feature of HSDPA 10 codes, when allocating 10 HS-PDSCH codes, for example, the average cell throughput is increased by about 30% in a macro cell environment compared to having only 5 HS-PDSCH codes. But they could not recocgnize any increase in performance on throughput. Problem could be that there is bottleneck on Iub interface side and that is a reason we would like to try to test HSDPA Congestion Control. So if you have any other experience concerning this problem please let me know.

jan74
2011-07-07, 07:37 PM
Thanks for feedback, did you try to do something else in order to prove better performance on Iub interface where you get success?

MO has activated feature of HSDPA 10 codes, when allocating 10 HS-PDSCH codes, for example, the average cell throughput is increased by about 30% in a macro cell environment compared to having only 5 HS-PDSCH codes. But they could not recocgnize any increase in performance on throughput. Problem could be that there is bottleneck on Iub interface side and that is a reason we would like to try to test HSDPA Congestion Control. So if you have any other experience concerning this problem please let me know.

First of all check the Iub congestion if you have any. What size pipe is available? It doesn't sound like a very busy network if they're only activating 10 Codes now. Also, I would ask what Throughput Counter has not improved? Throughput Counters are notorious and it is practically impossible to get a handle on what the User experience is. The reason is that every user is different and has different demands and you need to know what the User asked for before you can judge what level of service the user got. It sounds to me like its working ok if you have seen 30% increase in cell throughput. Can you see Avg Throughput per Active session?

I would not start looking at Congestion Control until you know all of the above. We found with Congestion Control, and we tested it on ATM and on Ethernet, that lower traffic sites responded well but the very busy sites saw degradation at the Busy Hours. That was when we canned it.

kema2103
2011-07-07, 08:14 PM
First of all check the Iub congestion if you have any. What size pipe is available? It doesn't sound like a very busy network if they're only activating 10 Codes now. Also, I would ask what Throughput Counter has not improved? Throughput Counters are notorious and it is practically impossible to get a handle on what the User experience is. The reason is that every user is different and has different demands and you need to know what the User asked for before you can judge what level of service the user got. It sounds to me like its working ok if you have seen 30% increase in cell throughput. Can you see Avg Throughput per Active session?

I would not start looking at Congestion Control until you know all of the above. We found with Congestion Control, and we tested it on ATM and on Ethernet, that lower traffic sites responded well but the very busy sites saw degradation at the Busy Hours. That was when we canned it.

It is a little bit misunderstanding in my interpration, there is no increase of 30% throughput as 10 codes are activated. I did not check throughput counters, I checked drive test results where for instance for Youtube service was performing very bad almost 40% worst in comparison with competitors, and avg. Video FLV throughput per active session was 1520 kbps but with big amount of interruptions in service 59%.

jan74
2011-07-07, 09:26 PM
It is a little bit misunderstanding in my interpration, there is no increase of 30% throughput as 10 codes are activated. I did not check throughput counters, I checked drive test results where for instance for Youtube service was performing very bad almost 40% worst in comparison with competitors, and avg. Video FLV throughput per active session was 1520 kbps but with big amount of interruptions in service 59%.

For Drive Test results after activating more Codes, I would never use Youtube. You dont know what the server at the other end is like. I have seen videos on Youtube that only come in at 300kbps. They don't need any more. Comparing youtube with other operators is ok and might indicate a problem, but only if you have both SIMs attached to the same laptop. However, there are so many laptop issues that can cause problems that you need to be careful. I tested the exact same youtube video once on the same cell with the same device but different laptops. The difference was unbelievable with one stopping all of the time and the other was fine. This clouds everything.

If I were you, I would do FTP downloads of a reasonably large file. I would do it at the quietest time of the day in excellent coverage and I would do it at least 10 times. Then I would do the same for your competitor on the same device/laptop etc. That will give you a better idea.

arisondang
2011-07-07, 09:50 PM
Hi,

The first thing you have to check is Iub BW and IuB Utilization..
10 Code per cell in 3 Sectors should have IuB more than 10 Mbps..
Check it first before you go to parameter setting...

Thanks

Irna
2011-07-07, 11:00 PM
i agree with you, to consider services much more make attention with your transport and code

kema2103
2011-07-07, 11:04 PM
For Drive Test results after activating more Codes, I would never use Youtube. You dont know what the server at the other end is like. I have seen videos on Youtube that only come in at 300kbps. They don't need any more. Comparing youtube with other operators is ok and might indicate a problem, but only if you have both SIMs attached to the same laptop. However, there are so many laptop issues that can cause problems that you need to be careful. I tested the exact same youtube video once on the same cell with the same device but different laptops. The difference was unbelievable with one stopping all of the time and the other was fine. This clouds everything.

If I were you, I would do FTP downloads of a reasonably large file. I would do it at the quietest time of the day in excellent coverage and I would do it at least 10 times. Then I would do the same for your competitor on the same device/laptop etc. That will give you a better idea.

Actually we did not use Youtube for such kind of test, Youtube is just one of services we have used during drive test and for sure more than hundreds test examples were done. We have done FTP DL test and throughput performance was 2 time lower in comparision with competition, in avg. FTP DL throughput was 770 kbps and competitors had 1400 kbps. Of course thanks a lot for yours useful advices.

kema2103
2011-07-07, 11:07 PM
The first thing you have to check is Iub BW and IuB Utilization..
10 Code per cell in 3 Sectors should have IuB more than 10 Mbps..
Check it first before you go to parameter setting...

Thanks

Thanks for this, yes this is also what we are checking, and actually I am looking if there is any other option i.e. feature under Iub,NodeB or RNC to be activated in order to make better throughput performance, without any additional Iub BW increasing, if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks.