PDA

View Full Version : Question What is Soft Blocking and Hard Blocking?

ejamhas
2011-06-22, 11:35 PM
Hi Guys!

What is Soft Blocking and Hard Blocking in terms of Data KPIs. How are they calculated and what is the difference b/w the two?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers :)

RF engineer
2011-06-23, 02:42 AM
Hi Guys!

What is Soft Blocking and Hard Blocking in terms of Data KPIs. How are they calculated and what is the difference b/w the two?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dear

Interference level gradually rises with the number of communications (soft blocking
instead of hard blocking)

BR

ejamhas
2011-06-23, 03:05 PM
Hi RF Engineer!

Thanks for the reply. Well I am looking for the definitions in terms of GSM KPIs. You are talking about CDMA.

Like Soft Blocking= Total TS requested but not allocated/Total TS requested.

but I am not sure what Hard Blocking is... I hope you got my point

telwind
2011-06-23, 03:46 PM
Hi RF Engineer!

Thanks for the reply. Well I am looking for the definitions in terms of GSM KPIs. You are talking about CDMA.

Hard blocking: CE, wash code

RF engineer
2011-06-23, 05:27 PM
Hi RF Engineer!

Dear

In GSM there is no KPI called soft blocking just have hard blocking which means not have any free time slot in TRX can handle incoming traffic.

BR

ejamhas
2011-06-23, 05:34 PM
Hi RF Engineer!

There are Soft Blocking and Hard Blocking KPIs in GSM as well for Data. This is for sure... anyway thanks for the help mate.

T_ADD
2011-06-24, 10:07 AM
Soft blocking - when a cell is heavily loaded, the interference level increases because of many users. so the BTS might block any additional user (or call) so as to not add to more interference. remedy is to contain coverage or add more sites nearby congested site.

hard blocking - when a cell capacity gets limited when no more CEs are available. This off course is a hardware restriction. So a possible remedy is to add more CEs or contain coverage (optimization)

khalids
2011-06-28, 06:03 PM
For GSM

Hard blocking occurs, when there are no time slots available on the Trx.

While soft blocking is related to noise level, and occurs so as to ensure good radio quality.

Hope this was useful

plannerguy
2011-06-28, 06:10 PM
Hi

Soft blocking and hard blocking in GSM is in Data Part.

softblocking
if you attempt for 4PDTCH and available is 3 only then it will rperesent as 1 block .

Hardblocking
While Hard blocking is in case of Backend ie LAPD part were you have Data slots defined for carrying (EDAP Pool).

Regards
Plannegruy