PDA

View Full Version : Original call re-establishment parameter effect

dnotembo
2011-06-22, 08:29 PM
hi,
can any one help to know exactly what is the effect of enabling the call re-establishment parameter in the network, especially in negative side?.

zlobster
2011-06-22, 08:58 PM
Hi,

Enabling this feature sure has its downsides. Here are the main I'm aware of:

-the expiry of RL timeout timer (number of non-decoded SACCH frames). As far as I know, only this condition triggers the re-establishment. Now, imagine you have 10s (20 SACCH frames) for RLT. How many users will stay with UE on their ear and wait till get back in the call? I'll personally hang up on the 3rd second... It's annoying for the users.

-then if you have a bad coverage area, it's likely to enter a loop of RLT expiry and re-est. and eventually you'll peg a dropped call...

So, it won't improve your KPI nor it will improve your subscribers' experience. It's only useful (to some extent) for cases with tunnels (or areas with only one small coverage gap) IMHO.

Hope I was able to help you.

jan74
2011-06-22, 09:47 PM
hi,
can any one help to know exactly what is the effect of enabling the call re-establishment parameter in the network, especially in negative side?.

This is an age-old debate about perceptions on how/when a customer will hang up. But the facts are the following:

-We cut our dropped call rate almost in half by enabling this
-We had no extra complaints

The debate usually goes along the lines of "The user will hang up etc". This is all perception and I have never seen any statistic that proves it. The facts are that you have less dropped calls than before. Even if some users are moaning about having to wait, they are less than the numbers that dropped their calls previously.

Go for it but make sure your settings are appropriate and make sure that nobody is pulling the wool over anybody's eyes as the KPIs improve(the areas where Re-Establishments happen still need attention!)

dnotembo
2011-06-22, 09:57 PM
thanks Jan74 and zlobster,
these are very helpful comments for me!

zlobster
2011-06-22, 10:07 PM
thanks Jan74 and zlobster,
these are very helpful comments for me!

Thus clicking the 'scales' (reputation, upper right corner) and 'thanks' icons will encourage us to help the community further.:p

zlobster
2011-06-22, 10:16 PM
This is an age-old debate about perceptions on how/when a customer will hang up. But the facts are the following:

-We cut our dropped call rate almost in half by enabling this
-We had no extra complaints

The debate usually goes along the lines of "The user will hang up etc". This is all perception and I have never seen any statistic that proves it. The facts are that you have less dropped calls than before. Even if some users are moaning about having to wait, they are less than the numbers that dropped their calls previously.

Go for it but make sure your settings are appropriate and make sure that nobody is pulling the wool over anybody's eyes as the KPIs improve(the areas where Re-Establishments happen still need attention!)

Of course you won't find statistics about the user happiness. And let me quote you on this: "-We had no extra complaints", it's not the case in all other networks, you know. So, I personally find it a bit cocky to recommend such big change, especially without knowing the target network...:victory:
It's not even guaranteed the KPIs will improve. I can point you some cases where no improvement was achieved at all.

P.S. All my statements in this thread are made assuming GERAN is being discussed.

adewijaya
2011-06-22, 10:48 PM
some case become "silent call" phenomenon, so better this feature to be disabled ;)