PDA

View Full Version : Question RRC & RAT

telecom.santosh
2011-06-17, 06:43 PM
What is difference between RRC & RAT?

adewijaya
2011-06-17, 06:55 PM
RRC : Radio Resource Control

The Radio Resource Control (RRC) protocol belongs to the UMTS WCDMA protocol stack and handles the control plane signalling of Layer 3 between the UEs (User Equipment)

Functions for connection establishment and release,
Broadcast of system information,
Radio bearer establishment/reconfiguration and release,
RRC connection mobility procedures,
Paging notification and release,
Outer loop power control.
There can only be one RRC connection open to a UE at any one time

RAT : Radio Access Technology
Inter-RAT measurements
are related to cells belonging to the GSM/GERAN orCDMA2000 portion of the same or a different network operator’s network. Measurementreports belonging to this category are used to trigger handover to GSM/GERAN and/orCDMA2000. Both GSM/GERAN and CDMA2000 are called different radio access technology (RAT)

That's a big difference between this.

zeezzoo
2011-06-17, 06:55 PM
What is difference between RRC & RAT?

dear you can't compare those two things . they are different concepts .

RRC : Radio Resource Control (it's used in UMTS for signaling , something close to SDCCH in 2G)

RAT : Radio Access Technology (it's a completely different thing . each radio network should have a RAT . as an examole in GSM the used RAt is TDMA/FDMA . in UMTS the used RAT is WCDMA )
you can say that the rat is the technology used in the radio interface .

Br,

telecom.santosh
2011-06-17, 07:30 PM
Yes I know we can not compare these two things..But in an Interview one interviewer asked me this question..I given same answer what you guys written but he was not satisfied with my answer.

adewijaya
2011-06-17, 08:11 PM
Yes I know we can not compare these two things..But in an Interview one interviewer asked me this question..I given same answer what you guys written but he was not satisfied with my answer.

so your interviewer doesn't know exactly nor have capablelity

plannerguy
2011-06-21, 03:30 PM
Hi

it may be RRC and RAB

Regards
Plannerguy

kentck86
2011-08-19, 09:31 PM
Hi

it may be RRC and RAB

Regards
Plannerguy

hi,

so, can anyone compare between RRC and RAB?

gogotchiya83
2011-08-19, 09:58 PM
Can you tell the reason of the RRC Drop?
How to tune this indicator?

_lisi4king
2011-08-19, 10:08 PM
Can you tell the reason of the RRC Drop?
How to tune this indicator?

There is counters for Huawei. I think easy to understand all reasons from counters name:

VS.RRC.Rej.Power.Cong
VS.RRC.Rej.UL.CE.Cong
VS.RRC.Rej.DL.CE.Cong
VS.RRC.Rej.Code.Cong
VS.RRC.Rej.ULIUBBandCong
VS.RRC.Rej.DLIUBBandCong
VS.RRC.Rej.RL.Fail
VS.RRC.Rej.AAL2.Fail

gogotchiya83
2011-08-19, 10:15 PM
but how you can explain what happened in my Network :

Good CSSR (AMR, PS R99, HSDPA, HSUPA)=99%;
Good DCR(AMR, HSDPA, HSUPA)=0.4%
but Bad DCR for PS_R99= 3%?

I have also a bad DCR_RRC = 20%

Any help PLZ?

_lisi4king
2011-08-19, 10:21 PM
but how you can explain what happened in my Network :

Good CSSR (AMR, PS R99, HSDPA, HSUPA)=99%;
Good DCR(AMR, HSDPA, HSUPA)=0.4%
but Bad DCR for PS_R99= 3%?

I have also a bad DCR_RRC = 20%

Any help PLZ?

RRC_Drop rate for all Network 20%??? :eek:, And after that you have Good RAB and accessability? Difficult to trust.

And second, i think your RRC_Drop rate consists from some counters. Try to understand from which? I only can guess, but if you have 5 attempts and 1 Drop - it will 20%. But i think it is not a problem ;)

gogotchiya83
2011-08-19, 10:26 PM
DROP_RRC=20% for the RNC
AND CSSR=99%
How you can explain that?

_lisi4king
2011-08-19, 10:29 PM
DROP_RRC=20% for the RNC
AND CSSR=99%
How you can explain that?

So, if Huawei has Drop reasons, your vendor have to use it. Try to find this counters. Second try to find cells, which influent more. Because i can not trust that all cells have so low RRC connection. And if you will know reason and cells, will be easy to fix it.

gogotchiya83
2011-08-19, 10:36 PM
i'm working for ALU (UA7)
the KPI that i wrote are from RNC (even for the CSSR and DCR_RRC)
this is the formula :

DCR_RRC=(100*([Nb_RRC_Release_ALL] - [Nb_RRC_Release_Normal]))/([Nb_RRC_Release_ALL])

_lisi4king
2011-08-19, 10:42 PM
i'm working for ALU (UA7)
the KPI that i wrote are from RNC (even for the CSSR and DCR_RRC)
this is the formula :

DCR_RRC=(100*([Nb_RRC_Release_ALL] - [Nb_RRC_Release_Normal]))/([Nb_RRC_Release_ALL])

So, [Nb_RRC_Release_ALL] - [Nb_RRC_Release_Normal] this is unsucsessful - numerador.

It should be cell based. RRC belongs to cell. And if you have so low information, only % of CSSR and RRC Drop Rate, you will neve fix your problem. Need to investigate it deeply. :cool:

gogotchiya83
2011-08-19, 10:47 PM
i'm ready to give you all what you need, PLZ any help?
the real problem is with PS_R99 drop my manager ask why there is no improvement in this KPI

_lisi4king
2011-08-19, 11:34 PM
i'm ready to give you all what you need, PLZ any help?
the real problem is with PS_R99 drop my manager ask why there is no improvement in this KPI

try to adk it here too, need somebody, who knows Alcatel

http://www.finetopix.com/alcatel-lucent/

gogotchiya83
2011-08-19, 11:48 PM
thanks men,
but what do you think if i change the re-selection parameter in order to avoid to make RRC request in bad RF condition?

_lisi4king
2011-08-19, 11:59 PM
thanks men,
but what do you think if i change the re-selection parameter in order to avoid to make RRC request in bad RF condition?

But if you do not have any problem with AMR and HSDPA.....i think this 2 more sensitive to RF conditions. AMR suscrubers will fill, HSDPA - KPI's will be not good. You can try, but your setuation for me strange. May be experts can help you. May be software bug...:confused:

SrnALV
2011-08-25, 04:09 PM
hi,

so, can anyone compare between RRC and RAB?

Hi.

RAB -> Radio access bearer
Radio bearers exist inside UTRA RRC Connected Mode. There are 4 RB (see 25.331 clause 6.3). NodeB sends RRC CONNECTION SETUP message to UE which contains settings for RB. Then RBs are used for exchanging signaling messages between UE and NodeB. You can find radio Bearer control procedures in 25.331 clause 8.2.

BR

gogotchiya83
2011-08-25, 06:39 PM
i have a huge RRC drop in my network, after checking the counters, i found that the mean reason is : "SCCP release cause", can you explain me what does it means?