PDA

View Full Version : wanted: Dimetra Encryption Tool or key file with known SCK

laforge
2011-05-27, 05:45 AM
Hi!

I'm looking for a way to obtain the ******** Dimetra Encryption Tool (i.e. the windows program that is used to generate key files that can be downloaded into handsets via CPS).

As an alternative, it would also be sufficient to get a key file with known KEK (key encryption key) and known SCK (static cipher key).

Basically, what I want to do is to programm two ******** tetra radios with the same (known) SCK, so they can communicate with static encryption.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

proy1_10
2011-05-27, 03:14 PM
Ooooopss!!!!
It's a propietary encryption system, so i think it would be very difficult to obtain some hint.

Motorola
2011-05-27, 04:16 PM
It is not possible to get it !

And it is highly illegal, why would you want to use encryption in private purpose in first place ??

laforge
2011-05-27, 04:39 PM
From what I can see, there is nothing illegal at all. I'm commonly woking in areas of legal questions on IT, and I really don't see what you are referring to.

The "Dimetra Encryption Tool" does _not_ need to perform any TEA algorithm itself. It only generates the keys!

The TEA code is already present in the handsets, and I have handset that legitimately have TEA support (of course only TEA1 or TEA4).

The use of encryption is _not_ illegal, at least in most countries around the world. Aren't you using SSL/TLS on the internet? Aren't you using VPN protocols like IPsec or OpenVPN? Aren't you using A5/1 encrypted calls on GSM?

The only reason I could see is that ******** doesn't widely distribute the Encryption Tool (for key generation). So copyright on that software would apply, and it is not possible to copy it freely.

But even then, the actual generated key files do not fall under copyright, as they are not computer programs as they are not the result of human creativity, but simply a machine (the key generator).

Motorola
2011-05-27, 05:21 PM
From what I can see, there is nothing illegal at all. I'm commonly woking in areas of legal questions on IT, and I really don't see what you are referring to.

The "Dimetra Encryption Tool" does _not_ need to perform any TEA algorithm itself. It only generates the keys!

The TEA code is already present in the handsets, and I have handset that legitimately have TEA support (of course only TEA1 or TEA4).

The use of encryption is _not_ illegal, at least in most countries around the world. Aren't you using SSL/TLS on the internet? Aren't you using VPN protocols like IPsec or OpenVPN? Aren't you using A5/1 encrypted calls on GSM?

The only reason I could see is that ******** doesn't widely distribute the Encryption Tool (for key generation). So copyright on that software would apply, and it is not possible to copy it freely.

But even then, the actual generated key files do not fall under copyright, as they are not computer programs as they are not the result of human creativity, but simply a machine (the key generator).

All above you said is correct, however you are talking on TETRA radios, these radios are not ment to be used by private person, and it is illegal to operate such radio in private purpose.

dkscan
2011-05-27, 07:48 PM
All above you said is correct, however you are talking on TETRA radios, these radios are not ment to be used by private person, and it is illegal to operate such radio in private purpose.
Which countries are you referring to?
TETRA is just a standard for digital communication, that happens to be widely used by energency services, police and other users, but that itself does not make it illegal for private use.

laforge
2011-05-27, 07:55 PM

I don't know in which country you live or why you make such kind of statements. At least in Europe, there is one frequency band (380-400MHz) for emergency services, and other bands for general use (like 400...420Mhz).

It is no problem at all to obtain regulatory approval to operate TETRA radios in the latter band. You can get that as a commercial license for professional use, or you can get an experimental license for e.g. R&D.

I myself have e.g. a license to receive and transmit in certain ARFCNs of the GSM 1800 band in order to work on my own GSM protocol stack and for testing of interoperability.

As long as you know what you do, and you follow the respective regulations and do not cause interference with commercial operators, there is absolutely nothing illegal about any of this.