PDA

View Full Version : Future of RNP/RNO with LTE SON

planner
2011-05-16, 12:43 PM
Hello Everyone!

Lately, I was thinking about how SON feature of LTE will affect the present RNP/RNO engineering roles. Given that, LTE SON can automatically optimize and to some extent plan cell parameters, can the present RNP/RNO workforce sustain in such an environment?

Feel free to share your thoughts.

BR// planner

s52d
2011-05-16, 02:40 PM
Hello Everyone!

Lately, I was thinking about how SON feature of LTE will affect the present RNP/RNO engineering roles. Given that, LTE SON can automatically optimize and to some extent plan cell parameters, can the present RNP/RNO workforce sustain in such an environment?

Feel free to share your thoughts.

BR// planner

Hi!
How many of us lost the job when we started to use AFP on GSM?
How many lost jobs when HSPA come, and there is no need for frequency planning?

I am a bit sceptical on SON: what I see so far, is a lot of marketing and
demo of beautifull java screens, ready to do the obvious.

Assigning IP, CGI and scrambling code to the HSPA cell is simple. We just do it in no time.
Finding missing neighbors is simple (using E/// GPEH and BA-list recording).
Removing them, tuning hysteresis, using properly frequency planning on HSPA: this is a bit tricky.

Especially, antenna planning takes a lot of time. With power planning on top of it.
We know why we build site and what we want to cover. This information is not available
to SON, thus SON can not do proper decisions.

We shall look at SON as another tool (just ignore marketing hype around it), helping us
to be more effective: we shall focus on how SON works, exceptions, algorithms, and not on
setting of particular parameter in the system.

With BSS, UTRAN and LTE in the same time, complexity of our networks is far from what it
used to be years ago: and we do not have 5 times more people to do the job manually.

So, we need open and flexibile SON. Where we are in control.
Vendors would like to sell black-magic-doall box.
It is our job to demand SON openess in RFQs and trials.

BR
s52d

dodotiro
2011-05-16, 03:08 PM
yup i agree with s52d. there are still many things that this tool can't do. but btw we should be ready for any consequent

parsarka
2011-05-16, 03:36 PM
Hi,please share any relative doc for the same

wahaha
2011-07-02, 12:30 PM
When the evolution of technology getting more advanced, certain stuffs will be simplify to ensure the minimize human work load & error. Agreed with the mentioned comments above, SON is assisting on the engineers on auto configuration but engineers still are required to manage on it.... Maybe the number of engineers required is lesser compared to old times due to network intelligent is getting better :(

kpmanoj
2011-09-30, 11:29 AM
Strangely enough SON was actually pushed more by the operators rather than vendors to drive down the cost of maintaining the network. Too much time, resources and money are spent on doing mundane stuff. Need engineers to do real engineering work that really benefits customer experience and let SON take care of these mundane stuff...

99us
2012-02-20, 11:21 PM
But to my knowledge algorithm for SON still in develop. Most of algorithm still have several weakness. Keep spirit we still have a chance.;)