PDA

View Full Version : Question Strange behaviour of HSDPA throughput vs user number

fahmi
2011-05-14, 01:02 AM
Hey,
acoording to the picture I think that the HSDPA throughput has a strange behavior when the user number decrease.

counter description :
VS.HSDPA.MeanChThroughput :
This counter provides the mean downlink throughput of single MAC-d flows in a cell.
When data is sent in an HSDPA serving cell, the RNC measures the data transfer time of all the UEs and the total bytes sent in the cell. At the end of the measurement period, the RNC divides the total bytes by the total data transfer time to obtain the mean downlink throughput of MAC-d flow in the cell. The RLC header and the retransmitted data are excluded.
VS.HSDPA.UE.Mean.Cell:
These counters provide the average and maximum number of HSDPA UEs in a serving cell. The DC-HSDPA UE is only sampled in anchor carrier.
The system periodically takes samples of the number of HSDPA UEs. At the end of the measurement period, by dividing the accumulated value of sample data in the period by the number of samples, the average number of HSDPA UEs in the measurement period is obtained; by selecting the maximum value of sample data in the period, the maximum number of HSDPA UEs in the measurement period is obtained.

I could'nt find out the relation between these 2 counters.

Could you explain this correlation.?
thank you

zeezzoo
2011-05-14, 10:30 PM
Hey,
acoording to the picture I think that the HSDPA throughput has a strange behavior when the user number decrease.

counter description :
VS.HSDPA.MeanChThroughput :
This counter provides the mean downlink throughput of single MAC-d flows in a cell.
When data is sent in an HSDPA serving cell, the RNC measures the data transfer time of all the UEs and the total bytes sent in the cell. At the end of the measurement period, the RNC divides the total bytes by the total data transfer time to obtain the mean downlink throughput of MAC-d flow in the cell. The RLC header and the retransmitted data are excluded.
VS.HSDPA.UE.Mean.Cell:
These counters provide the average and maximum number of HSDPA UEs in a serving cell. The DC-HSDPA UE is only sampled in anchor carrier.
The system periodically takes samples of the number of HSDPA UEs. At the end of the measurement period, by dividing the accumulated value of sample data in the period by the number of samples, the average number of HSDPA UEs in the measurement period is obtained; by selecting the maximum value of sample data in the period, the maximum number of HSDPA UEs in the measurement period is obtained.

I could'nt find out the relation between these 2 counters.

Could you explain this correlation.?
thank you

Dear Fahmi,

the chart makes sense to me . the counter VS.HSDPA.MeanChThroughput description says it's for single MAC-d Flow which means for one service per one user . this counter gives you the average throughput for one user & for one service .

one MAC-d = 1 User
one MAC-d Flow = 1 Service for a user

so when you have lower # of UEs ==> you will have higher MAC-d flow throughput .

if we considered the throughput counter is for all of the users in the cell , you can see it's too low comparing to HSDPA capabilities .
try to multiply the two counters you have in the chart ==> you will get Cell throughput .
as an example : on 05/10 at 12:00 you have ~~ 12UE * 200Kbps = 2.4 Mbps cell throughput .

hope it will be useful for you .

fahmi
2011-05-14, 11:08 PM
Dear Fahmi,

the chart makes sense to me . the counter VS.HSDPA.MeanChThroughput description says it's for single MAC-d Flow which means for one service per one user . this counter gives you the average throughput for one user & for one service .

one MAC-d = 1 User

so when you have lower # of UEs ==> you will have higher MAC-d flow throughput .

if we considered the throughput counter is for all of the users in the cell , you can see it's too low comparing to HSDPA capabilities .
try to multiply the two counters you have in the chart ==> you will get Cell throughput .
as an example : on 05/10 at 12:00 you have ~~ 12UE * 200Kbps = 2.4 Mbps cell throughput .

Thank you :handshake
very good explanation: clear, simple and convincing :victory:
This helped me a lot,
many thanks.

fahmi
2011-05-16, 06:20 PM
Dear Fahmi,

one MAC-d = 1 User

Hi,
could you please explain in more details what a MAC-d flow ??
Thank you.