PDA

View Full Version : MMS data

rungguensing
2011-03-22, 11:25 AM
Our customer are requesting to measure the MMS, and im dont understanding on what going on there. We are using ACCUVER previously COUEI XCAL MO. I found out the packet message is quiet confusing to me (cause i dont have basic understanding in telco)..Could anyone help me on what is to measure in MMS for the benchmarking project?

1) Do they have Sending/Receiving success rate?
2) Why do we need traffic time in receiving since the data send is receive during setup time?
3) How do we know that all the e.g 200kb data are sent to receiving UE? i cannot find it in the SUM file.
4) MMS are using voice or data?

paranoja
2011-03-24, 10:22 AM
there is a lot things you can measure.... but first you need to understand how mms works...
so basic principle is like this:
1.UE makes a gprs & pdp attach.
2.upload the image/multimedia to MMSC DB
3.send SMILE message to wapgw(it sends "code" with a link to your picture in MMSC DB)
4.wapgw sends this link to SMSC using the PPG(push proxy gateway)
5.SMSC delivers the link through an SMS to the B number
6.when someone openes this message the picture is automaticlly downloaded to the phone from MMSC DB(it goes through gprs & pdp attach first).

so you can measure any timings between various nodes, or can measure E2E overall time....

i hope i answered your question...

rungguensing
2011-03-24, 11:10 AM
there is a lot things you can measure.... but first you need to understand how mms works...
so basic principle is like this:
1.UE makes a gprs & pdp attach.
2.upload the image/multimedia to MMSC DB
3.send SMILE message to wapgw(it sends "code" with a link to your picture in MMSC DB)
4.wapgw sends this link to SMSC using the PPG(push proxy gateway)
5.SMSC delivers the link through an SMS to the B number
6.when someone openes this message the picture is automaticlly downloaded to the phone from MMSC DB(it goes through gprs & pdp attach first).

so you can measure any timings between various nodes, or can measure E2E overall time....

i hope i answered your question...

Thanks for the reply,is it normal for the receiving UE late receiving the message? Is it cause by the congestion in the MMSC?

paranoja
2011-03-24, 05:01 PM
hm as everything in telecommunications it more complicated than that...
i cannot say where is the delay beacuse it can be on any system that mms passes through...and MMS is one of the most complex services in the mobile networks....

the way i would do it is:
send MMS and look for it on all the systems it passes through, and note the timestamp...
1.look for GPRS attach in SGSN
2. look for PDP attach in Wapgw and Radius
3.look for the Time MMS is uploaded to MMSC DB
3.look for the MMS link in the access log in Wapgw
4.look for PPG push in the wapgw
5.look for sms sent in the SMSC

after you note all timestamps, you will know which system takes longer to process it....then you can lookup what is causing this abnormal behavior...

if you don't have access to the systems...then you can do it unprofessionally and this will not be reliant data you collect...

1.send MMS and time it how long does it take to get on your telephone "message sent" (this means that you uploaded MMS to MMSC)
2.time how long from "message sent" to receving it on another phone(this is the push part)
-by doing this test you can see if you have a MO or MT delay....
but it is not something you can present as a "benchmarking project".... :)

rungguensing
2011-03-29, 11:54 AM
hm as everything in telecommunications it more complicated than that...
i cannot say where is the delay beacuse it can be on any system that mms passes through...and MMS is one of the most complex services in the mobile networks....

the way i would do it is:
send MMS and look for it on all the systems it passes through, and note the timestamp...
1.look for GPRS attach in SGSN
2. look for PDP attach in Wapgw and Radius
3.look for the Time MMS is uploaded to MMSC DB
3.look for the MMS link in the access log in Wapgw
4.look for PPG push in the wapgw
5.look for sms sent in the SMSC

after you note all timestamps, you will know which system takes longer to process it....then you can lookup what is causing this abnormal behavior...

if you don't have access to the systems...then you can do it unprofessionally and this will not be reliant data you collect...

1.send MMS and time it how long does it take to get on your telephone "message sent" (this means that you uploaded MMS to MMSC)
2.time how long from "message sent" to receving it on another phone(this is the push part)
-by doing this test you can see if you have a MO or MT delay....
but it is not something you can present as a "benchmarking project".... :)

Thanks for the reply, i'm more understand the concept now. Im using XCAP to look for the sending upload time from the phone to MMSC and download time to the phone. Currently i only can get download on receiving part..:)
Anyway, have you ever use XCAL by accuver before?