PDA

View Full Version : (Ho attempt/ HO decision)

electron
2010-10-02, 05:05 AM
Dear Friends,

By below formula what we can conclude ?

(Ho attempt/ HO decision)

Thanks

s52d
2010-10-02, 06:14 AM
Dear Friends,

Thanks

HO decision: BSC thinks it is time to make handover.
HO attemtp: BSC started procedure, so target cell (and connection between BSCs) is ready (congestion/misconfiguration/external cells) so terminal is asked to move to another cell.

In case of hirearchical cell structure with some vendors you can see strange numbers,
like attempts higher as decisions. Looks at docs.

BR
s52d

apo7
2010-10-02, 08:09 PM
HO attemtp: BSC started procedure, so target cell (and connection between BSCs) is ready (congestion/misconfiguration/external cells) so terminal is asked to move to another cell.

In case of hirearchical cell structure with some vendors you can see strange numbers,
like attempts higher as decisions. Looks at docs.

BR
s52d

What do you mean by "strange numbers"?

Regards.

s52d
2010-10-02, 10:35 PM
What do you mean by "strange numbers"?

Regards.

"like number of attempts higher as decisions"
Somebody might think it is decision->attempt->success.
For me it is wierd to see more sucessful handovers as attempts.
Or, handovers to non existing cells (but I have not yet seen successful handover to
non existing cell.)

It is worth checking when/where decision is made, and sometimes some features
are on top of it.

It is vendor specific, of course.

BR
s52d

electron
2010-10-03, 02:11 AM
thanks for reply but still i did not get the point.
It was simple question, what we can conclude by :
(HO Attempt/HO Decision)

Thanks

s52d
2010-10-03, 04:18 AM
thanks for reply but still i did not get the point.
It was simple question, what we can conclude by :
(HO Attempt/HO Decision)

Thanks

Sorry, I felt this is clear.

If (Ho attempt/ HO decision)is not 100%, then you might have:
- congestion on traget cell
- misconfiguration for external cells
- some features like HCS or dualband or high_speed_mobiles are not taken into consideration

BR
s52d

electron
2010-10-03, 04:26 AM

Sorry, I felt this is clear.

If (Ho attempt/ HO decision)is not 100%, then you might have:
- congestion on traget cell
- misconfiguration for external cells
- some features like HCS or dualband or high_speed_mobiles are not taken into consideration

BR
s52d

Thanks i found my point here

In case of Congestion and HCS affect could you please explain more ?

Example will be helpful.

Thnks

s52d
2010-10-03, 06:29 AM
Thanks i found my point here

In case of Congestion and HCS affect could you please explain more ?

Example will be helpful.

Thnks

Hi!

It might depend on the vendor, and features used.
for me, it is normally 100%. For HCS it can be 4000% (40 times as much handovers as decisions,
as HCS is triggered separately and not reported in decision counters).

Another point: when below 100%, and number of handovers is small, it might
get really low due to repetitions: if handover is not started, another decision is made etc.

BR
s52d

apo7
2010-10-03, 04:53 PM
For HCS, in drive test logs where do we observe the HO decision/attempts (SI Type 5, etc.)?

Regards.

s52d
2010-10-03, 06:12 PM
For HCS, in drive test logs where do we observe the HO decision/attempts (SI Type 5, etc.)?

Regards.

Hi!
Only if you merge BSC logs. Terminals report measurements,
but it is BSC knowing all parameters and features and making final decision.
Thus, we used to compare TEMS logs with mobile traces from the BSC in order
to understand what is going on.

Once handover is attempted, BSC sends handover command to the terminal,
and you can see it in drive test logs.

BR
s52d

danikd
2010-10-03, 07:40 PM
Dear Friends,

Thanks

I would like to add few comments on this issue:

1. HO Decision - it is event which is resulting measurements filtering and neighbors evaluation process within the BSC. The received results is to perform HO from serving cell to target cell.
2. HO Attempt - it is event which is initiating the HO process i.e. BSC sends an HO command message to mobile.

You should treat those events correctly, especially their ratio. I'll try to give few tips.

1. Why number of HO Attempts is not equal to number of HO Decisions? In order to initiate HO procedure, the BSC should validate that on target cell there is a place for new connection i.e. idle timeslot. Once there is no Idle timeslot available on target cell , then HO Decision does not translated into HO Attempt i.e. HO was blocked due to TCH congestion.
2. TCH Congestion during HO is not service affected, since no service interruption occurs, connection still managed on source cell.
3. Sometimes TCH Congestion on HO used as traffic load controlling factor for HCS implementations.
4. It is important to separate internal and external HO (intra-BSC and inter-BSC - MSC controlled).
5. For Intra-BSC HO - BSC by itself validates timeslots availability on target cell and then HO Command released.
6. For Inter-BSC HO decision, the source BSC sends the HO request to the target BSC, and if no available timeslot situation occurs, then HO reject event generated by target BSC with cause value - no resources.
7. It is very important to provide a correct measure for HO success. Typically for formula numerator utilized HO success counters, while for denominator you can use HO Decisions or HO Attempts.
8. For correct situation identification there two formulas suggested:

HO Congestion - HO Attempts/HO Decisions
HO Success - HO Success/HO Attempts

The item 8 actually fully correlated to TCH Normal Assignment (new calls) calculation, where the KPI of TCH Assignment Success (Normal Assignments) has two parts - one for Congestion on Assignment and second for Assignment process itself.

Hope this will help

ayman.absi
2010-10-05, 01:35 AM
Thanks Danikd,
a comprehensive illustration. I think in ******** this is called HO_Attempt_Rate.

moh_sulaiman
2010-10-05, 03:48 AM
hi,

i need HW call setup manuals.

if some one have plz share.

br

kaizzer545
2010-10-06, 12:35 AM
Hi Master, I'm relative new to these topics, but up today I have understood that Succes = completes / request, but this is just for Call Succes, please explain me more about HO, thanks