PDA

View Full Version : LAC update in dedicated Mode

Piscean21
2010-09-02, 07:35 PM
Experts,
How is LAC updated in dedicated Mode??Which channel is used for this purpose???

forumuser-2008
2010-09-02, 07:55 PM
Experts,
How is LAC updated in dedicated Mode??Which channel is used for this purpose???

Location update occur in Idle Mode in SDCCH channel.

redrooster
2010-09-02, 09:35 PM
Location update occur in Idle Mode in SDCCH channel.

As forumuser-2008 mentioned, LAC only occur whilst in Idle Mode, upon reselecting a cell with a different LAC is moved to dedicated mode (RACH's) then the Location Area Update is sent typically on the SDCCH (2G). Once complete the mobile returns to Idle and cell selections/reselections.

redrooster

Piscean21
2010-09-03, 02:44 PM
I think my question was not clear.I want to ask, if a user during a call crosses LAC boundary how is LAC updated then??And if call waiting option is enabled,will other users making call to the same number find it "Not Responding" until LAC updates???

timedomain
2010-09-03, 04:29 PM
Location update is done after conversation is finished, ur location is known in dedicated mode, in case of a new call system knows your place already because u have a dedicated channel

Piscean21
2010-09-04, 02:15 AM
Can you plz elaborate how location is known to system in this case when LAC is not still updated?

s52d
2010-09-04, 02:21 AM
Can you plz elaborate how location is known to system in this case when LAC is not still updated?

Anchor MSC magically knows which terminals are in dedicated mode ;-)

Knowing LA is needed for routing of pages towards idle terminal:
as terminal is in the dedicated mode, it is not listening to the paging ch, nor answering.
Thus, VLR does not need to know LA:
VLR knows terminal is busy and how to communicate with it.

PaleNxtTel
2010-09-04, 02:35 AM
we need to know the LAC only for paging thats mean we need it only in the idle mode. the when the terminal hooked up in a call the BSC knows which cell serving the MS so we don't need the LAC any more !!