PDA

View Full Version : WCDMA UE measurments RSCP and Ec/No

Mctest
2010-08-22, 11:57 PM
Hello!Does anybody have detail info on Ec/No calculation in the UE receiver?As it's known Ec/No=CPICH_RSCP/RSSI. How to measure total signal level (RSSI)- it's clear.But how to measure "code power" I mean signal level after despreading?Any detailed information is appreciated.

s52d
2010-08-23, 01:25 AM
Hello!Does anybody have detail info on Ec/No calculation in the UE receiver?As it's known Ec/No=CPICH_RSCP/RSSI. How to measure total signal level (RSSI)- it's clear.But how to measure "code power" I mean signal level after despreading?Any detailed information is appreciated.

for example: measure BOTH after despreading. Total received power before filtering,
CPICH_RSCP after filtering.

BR
s52d

stanislavangel777
2010-08-23, 01:41 AM
for example: measure BOTH after despreading. Total received power before filtering,

BR
s52d

Hi, S52d !

So, Can I write ? :

Ec/No = CPICH_RSCP / Total_RSCP

Thanks a lot, s52d !!!

D33T0X
2010-08-23, 02:11 AM
In dBm is: RSSI=RSCP+EcNo.

stanislavangel777
2010-08-23, 02:25 AM

Hi, D33T0X !

As I understand RSSI is just full RSCP for UARFCH. I can't understand how EcNo influence to RSSI. It's just result of descrembling ? It's the quality of received code.

Thank you for answer,D33T0X !

Mctest
2010-08-23, 02:26 AM

BR
s52d

Are you sure that RSSI after despreading?Lets say that despreading=descrambling+dechannelization.If I'm not mistaken CPICH_RSCP is after descrambling and after dechannelization with sf256 all zero.And the question is how to measure level of the digitized signal?I need details!

stanislavangel777
2010-08-23, 02:40 AM
Are you sure that RSSI after despreading?Lets say that despreading=descrambling+dechannelization.If I'm not mistaken CPICH_RSCP is after descrambling and after dechannelization with sf256 all zero.And the question is how to measure level of the digitized signal?I need details!

Hello, Mctest !

RSSI is Rx level before descrembling. It's just RxLev of UARFCH.

CPICH_RSCP is Rx level after descrembling.

CPICH_Ec/No is result of filtering after dechanalization.

BLER is block error rate after dechanalization and decoding.

Am I right ?

Mctest
2010-08-23, 02:56 AM
Hello, Mctest !

RSSI is Rx level before descrembling. It's just RxLev of UARFCH.

CPICH_RSCP is Rx level after descrembling.

CPICH_Ec/No is result of filtering after dechanalization.

BLER is block error rate after dechanalization and decoding.

Am I right ?

I'm not sure about CPICH_RSCP because it is Received Signal Code Power of the Pilot Channel only.Pilot channel you can get only after dechannelization.

D33T0X
2010-08-23, 03:30 AM
It's simple - try my equation on a measurement you have and see if it works :)... RSSI = Received Signal Strength Indicator = Received Signal Code Power (the power of the pilot) + Ec/No (the purity of the signal).

Mctest
2010-08-23, 03:36 AM
It's simple - try my equation on a measurement you have and see if it works :)... RSSI = Received Signal Strength Indicator = Received Signal Code Power (the power of the pilot) + Ec/No (the purity of the signal).

Yeah!It is also clear.Because I think that UE measures RSSI and RSCP,then simple division RSCP/RSSI.But the question is how to measure?Especially after despreading. May be by detecting missed zeros after despreading?

navarubakanth
2010-08-23, 12:25 PM

Ec/No = RSCP / RSSI, so in dBm RSCP = (Ec/Io) + RSSI, not RSSI = (Ec/Io) + RSCP

navarubakanth
2010-08-23, 12:26 PM

Ec/No = RSCP / RSSI, so in dBm RSCP = (Ec/Io) + RSSI, not RSSI = (Ec/Io) + RSCP

blaster949
2010-08-23, 04:06 PM
As Ec/Io is negative so yes

RSCP= RSSI + Ec/Io

In other words RSCP is LESS than RSSI and the difference is Ec/Io

Mctest
2010-08-23, 04:13 PM

RSCP= RSSI + Ec/Io

Thanks!What is about measurement points?

navarubakanth
2010-08-23, 06:15 PM

RSCP= RSSI + Ec/Io

Dear bro,

Even Ec/Io is negative or not (but it's always negative otherwise that is not a CDMA based technology) by simple mathematics you can show RSCP = RSSI + Ec/Io;

Ec/Io = RSCP/ RSSI

cross multiply it;

RSCP = (Ec/Io) X RSSI

In dBm,

RSCP = Ec/Io + RSSI (multiplication will become as addition in log)

Thanks

P.S : Don't put unwanted comments without look deeper

This was your first reply...
RSCP is always LESS than RSSI, not greater.

RSCP= RSSI - Ec/Io. You need to go back and learn UMTS.

navarubakanth
2010-08-23, 06:17 PM
Thanks!What is about measurement points?

What do you mean by measurement points bro? This is valid always....

Mctest
2010-08-23, 06:37 PM
What do you mean by measurement points bro? This is valid always....

I mean where does ue measure RSCP and Ec/No,Is this after demodulation,after multiplication with SC,after multiplication with CC.Someone told us that it is after filtering.What kind of filtering?Digital filtering in Root Raised Cosine filter or after analog filtering?We have 2 pages discussion about how to add or to substract two values and nothing about how to measure level of the digitized signal ("code power").

s52d
2010-08-24, 05:22 AM
We have 2 pages discussion about how to add or to substract two values and nothing about how to measure level of the digitized signal ("code power").

After D/A you might try to measure voltage (either peak or rms value) and adjust amplifier gain ...
If you know max amplitude, then it is not so complicated to know power - if you know power,
you are just a logarithm away from EcNo.
Beside Automatic Gain Control, rest is all done in DSP software.

BR
s52d

Mctest
2010-08-24, 11:59 AM
After D/A you might try to measure voltage (either peak or rms value) and adjust amplifier gain ...
If you know max amplitude, then it is not so complicated to know power - if you know power,
you are just a logarithm away from EcNo.
Beside Automatic Gain Control, rest is all done in DSP software.

BR
s52d
Thanks!But it would be great to have some kind of documentation with AGC block and DSP details.

blaster949
2010-08-24, 12:51 PM
Hi navarubakanth
Sorry for my understanding.
On another note, can anyone please clarify the DIFFERENCE between
SINR and Ec/Nt? with regards to HSDPA

s52d
2010-08-24, 02:17 PM
Thanks!But it would be great to have some kind of documentation with AGC block and DSP details.

Yes. I do not recall seeing any book on the topic. Harry Holma has quite lengthy terminal description in his (and others) latest book on LTE. But not to this level of details.
Maybe some general book on DSPs? Maybe even on IS-95 system?

On the other hand, I wonder how terminal TX is done.
In my mind, extreme linearity even with very low TX levels is connected with high battery power consuption. With 16QAM on top ...

BR
s52d

Mctest
2010-08-24, 03:19 PM
Hi navarubakanth
Sorry for my understanding.
On another note, can anyone please clarify the DIFFERENCE between
SINR and Ec/Nt? with regards to HSDPA

Simulation of the SINR with planning tool is used for capacity/throughput predictions.
Ec/No it's ue's measurement of the quality of the pilot channel.