PDA

View Full Version : how is subscriber capacity calculated in UMTS ?

coursekec
2010-06-26, 09:18 PM
hi,
can anyone explain how to calculate subscriber capacity in UMTS ? I know it's not as simple as in GSM..

thanks in advance

zee86
2010-06-26, 10:30 PM
Its depend on the licence agreement

hi,
can anyone explain how to calculate subscriber capacity in UMTS ? I know it's not as simple as in GSM..

thanks in advance

marko
2010-06-27, 08:45 AM
hi,

thanks in advance

the nodeB capacity is defined by the software licenses that the operator has bought from the equipment provider.

if you want to compute the maximum NodeB capacity based on the physical limitations ,there might be some documents on the internet the describe this. the software implementation for this can be very hard as the capacity depends on the traffic profile of the subscribers, the subscriber distribution in the cell, the traffic model...and you could name other things that i've forgotten.
long story short - on the downlink the NodeB is power limited.
on the uplink (which is more common) there is a interference limitation.

I've found this paper for your help:

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MAG/vol38-2/paper09.pdf

have fun!!
:L:L:L

firstmaxim
2010-06-28, 12:55 AM
hi,

thanks in advance

Subscriber capacity for which service?

In WCDMA/UMTS there exists a whole range of possible Capacity and Coverage combinations, based upon Service Mixes, user speeds, Interference Geometry, User Positions, Channel Multipath, etc, etc. In contrast with GSM there exists essentially one Capacity/Coverage point, and is not dependent upon user locations, Service mix, user speeds, etc.

Regards.

freakturd06
2010-06-28, 01:02 AM
Subscriber capacity for which service? UMTS can offer a mix of services-voice, VT, and data. It will depend on the proportion of all these. Also, uplink and downlink capacity are different.

Regards.

the nodeB capacity is defined by the software licenses that the operator has bought from the equipment provider.

if you want to compute the maximum NodeB capacity based on the physical limitations ,there might be some documents on the internet the describe this. the software implementation for this can be very hard as the capacity depends on the traffic profile of the subscribers, the subscriber distribution in the cell, the traffic model...and you could name other things that i've forgotten.
long story short - on the downlink the NodeB is power limited.
on the uplink (which is more common) there is a interference limitation.

I've found this paper for your help:

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MAG/vol38-2/paper09.pdf

have fun!!
:L:L:L

Very good point and the document is very helpful.:D

firstmaxim
2010-06-28, 01:13 AM
Its depend on the licence agreement

The licence you mention is for the Node B HW (Channel elements in particular), but when it comes to capacity on the air interface, one has to do a link budget and estimate capacity based on a no of factors such as intercell interference, cell loading, orthogonality, voice activity factor, etc.

Regards.