Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Convert kb to Erlang ?

Junior Member Reputation: 10

Default Convert kb to Erlang ?

Hi All,

I'm sorry if my question doesn't make sens, I'm in Finance, my knowledge in terms of technology is limited

I'm working on a profitability study, and I've to convert the total data usage (kb) to Erlang ...

I found in some forums the same formula below:

For UMTS

Video
    1 Erlang = 64 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 28.8 MB of traffic in one hour

Voice Call
    1 Erlang = 12.2 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 5.5 MB of traffic in one hour

in my case, I've only the total data traffic of the company in kb consumed by all the subscribers during the month, it includes the video and the voice call, but also all the data usage as file downloads, email, chat ....

my question is: is it possible to convert all this traffic from kb to Erlang ?

thanks for your support
    soo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Reputation: 125

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Default Re: Convert kb to Erlang ?

You must know the Bit Rate of service to convert from db to Erl
    So, if your traffic is from many kinds of Bit rate, you cannot transfer it to Erl . It's not true

Member Reputation: 453

In general it is not recommended to do this, especially if you later on want to include LTE service in your calculation.
    But if you need to do it i think perform the calculation separately per service like what you already did below is a good way to start.

Member Reputation: 238

HI

EGPRS will support 59.2Kbps ,so 59.2*3600/8 will provide 26 MB.

Rgds
    Preh

thanks to all of you for your feedback;

normally the total traffic DATA is in 3G "UMTS"; what I need to do is to affect the network cost by service (Voice/DATA), for voice it's easy, 1 Erlang = 60 minutes of talk, but I've to estimate the average MB consumed in one hour, assuming that all the data usage is more or less in the same bit rate, is it correct to use : 1 Erlang = 64 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 28.8 MB of traffic in one hour ?

rgds
    soo

Member Reputation: 125

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Bit Rates = 64 kbps
    TTI per frame = 20 msec = 0.02 sec ( follow link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Time_Interval )
    Duration of busy hour = 1 hour = 3600 sec
    Data erlang = (total number of frames transmitted * TTI per frame)/Duration of busy hour

1 Erl = (X * 0.02)/3600
    X = total number of frames transmitted = 3600/0.02 = 180,000 frames

Y = total number of kbps transmitted = 180,000 * 64 kbps = 11.52Mbps
    You can mutiply Y with GOS ( Grade of service ) = 0.02 or 0.01 to get Total Real transmitted = Y + Y*0.01
    Last edited by bluep; 2015-05-20 at 03:54 PM

8. Thanks rkdrkd, Stantheman thanked for this post
    Member Reputation: 176

Quote Originally Posted by soo55 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm sorry if my question doesn't make sens, I'm in Finance, my knowledge in terms of technology is limited

I'm working on a profitability study, and I've to convert the total data usage (kb) to Erlang ...

I found in some forums the same formula below:

For UMTS

Video
    1 Erlang = 64 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 28.8 MB of traffic in one hour

Voice Call
    1 Erlang = 12.2 kBps x 3600 seconds x 1 byte/8 bits = 5.5 MB of traffic in one hour

in my case, I've only the total data traffic of the company in kb consumed by all the subscribers during the month, it includes the video and the voice call, but also all the data usage as file downloads, email, chat ....

my question is: is it possible to convert all this traffic from kb to Erlang ?

thanks for your support
    soo
    Erlang concept is to identify the no of circuits needed. if you have multiple service each service MB has to be taken separately. if you mix it then there is no meaning of your Erlang figure ( only can say this much of MB can be generated from this much of voice erlang )

I Understand perfectly, is there any other way to estimate the average MB used in one hour for 3G UMTS ?

Quote Originally Posted by srilasitha View Post
    Erlang concept is to identify the no of circuits needed. if you have multiple service each service MB has to be taken separately. if you mix it then there is no meaning of your Erlang figure ( only can say this much of MB can be generated from this much of voice erlang )

Member Reputation: 176

Quote Originally Posted by soo55 View Post
    I Understand perfectly, is there any other way to estimate the average MB used in one hour for 3G UMTS ?
    Use the IUB data throughput , after removing the signalling bw usage

Use the IUB data throughput , after removing the signalling bw usage ?
    Quote Originally Posted by srilasitha View Post
    Use the IUB data throughput , after removing the signalling bw usage