Thanks Thanks:  0
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 3G/LTE Strategy query

Member Reputation: 24

Default 3G/LTE Strategy query

Dear members,

I need help from you experts for few queries for a research paper i am doing

a) Can LTE deployment be done as standalone ( 2G operators skips 3G and deploys LTE) if it can be done, what possible pro's and cons will such solution have ?

b) Can you give me any example of operators that were on 2G and went directly to LTE without having 3G ? I need will quote them in my paper, i hear Australia has an operator who went from 2G to LTE, is that true ?

c) I am looking for countries who were late adopters of 3G and now moving towards LTE, what kind of strategy was adopted by them ?

d) if there is 30 MHZ band available what is better strategy to use the 30MHZ into 10 MHZ band each or can we do 5 Mhz band, what are pro's and cons for such band for use of 3G ?

looking forward to hearing from you all on this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Reputation: 79

Default Re: 3G/LTE Strategy query

Hi makeev,

Of course you can deploy LTE as strandalone. It can be either greenfield (a design a new network from the scratch) or an evolution of an existing 2g,3g or 2g/3g to LTE. The pro's in the second case compared with the greenfield option are that you can use the existing sites (2G or 3G or 2G/3G) for LTE. Here comes the question for frequency bands and band re-farming. LTE bandwidth can be 1.4;3;5;10;15;20 MHZ.
    Pls check the links below. I hope that they will be useful for you and you can find information you need:
    http://www.ngmn.org/
    http://www.gsacom.com/

br,

Member Reputation: 187

Hi Makeev
    My comments below:

1. Yes you can do but the main problem will be the voice in order to support CSFB. I suggest according my experience go to LTE and for voice directly to IMS in this way you can offer more advances services.
    2. I don’t know the Australian market but I was working in Latin America and operators with iDEN go thought LTE directly without 2G and 3G.
    3. Strategy in this case offer voice under 3G Network and data for LTE
    4. The idea is to use as much as possible. I suggest deploying 20MHz and the rest 10MHz carrier aggregation o maybe for special design.

Member Reputation: 24

Thankyou all for the replies, they have helped alot.

@jbada : can you elaborate alittle more on the point no.1 for using LTE for data and voice on IMS and what are example of advance services. Also for iDEN, it was a new entrant in that market ? If so, can you give me country name they were launched in so i can read up on their strategy of deployment in more detail

Member Reputation: 187

Hi makeev,

You can use LTE for data services (internet access, corporate access, etc) and using LTE for access you need IMS to offer voice services, VoIP. If you use IMS you can offer advances services with MMTel (voice, video and fully multimedia communications). In this way you use a single access technology but obviously you need UE capable for IMS
    Regarding the IDEN is an old technology provided by ********, nothing new.