Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Huawei dongle failing data transfer

Member Reputation: 32

Default Huawei dongle failing data transfer

Hi,
    I have situation where, in a 3G network my dongle failed to transfer data. Meaning after the PDP connection activated and when google page was open it does not open the page and from core site it is noticed continues DNS query & response. But when the connection was terminated and reconnected it transfer data and when idle for a while it behave the same.
    I'm wondering if anyone had experience similar condition, and would appreciate if you could share why there is DNS query & responce but no data transfer. Is it a dongle issue or possible issue with RNC/nodeB.

My understanding, if the PDP is active, it is peer to peer between UE & core and access equipement only provide the pipe for data transfer.
    How could I prove if a problem is due to device?
    Which specification I could refer for clarification on core and interworking with UE in PDP active state beside 25.331

Appreciate some advice from the guru's

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Reputation: 264

Default Re: Huawei dongle failing data transfer

Hi,

did you try same dongle on different computer? Did you try same dongle, same computer, but different SIM?

Yes . I have done that. I have used 2 set of computer/SIM/Dongle. I see same symptom on both sets.

Thank you

Hi,

did you trace your IP connection on the computer with WinPcap or microsoft network monitor? Then you can see if DNS responce is correct.

When you reconnect and data transfer is going well, do you do another PDP activation? can you check if in all PDP activations the same user IP, DNS IP, etc is assigned. Maybe you will be see some differences - this could indicate the problem on packet core.

BR

Hi,
    Thank you.
    I have tried to deactivate then reactivate PDP. It is ok for a while but after a while same problem appear again. I have also captured the NetMon logs while using the dongle E355 and what information I should look for to confirm if the problem is coming from core. When the proble happen, I could see the DNS query but no response.
    Could the dongle misbehaving due to state transition from Cell_DCH to Cell_PCH then it cant return to Cell_PCH ( direct trasition).

Thank you,

Hi,

you should try IP tracing on core to see, if DNS query was received on core. From what you now describe, it looks like UL packet loss.

The best way is to try doing ping with small packets (32 -128 bytes - run multiple tests with different packet length per test). Do test so that the ping will be transmitted every 1s-2s. Very high frequency of ping packets will not allow you to do RRC state transitions, and your test will fail. Also capture IP on the server your are pinging to. When you'll compare both IP traces, you'll see when packet is lost and in which direction. From timestamp you will be able to see what RAN is doing at the same time. Try putting server as close to the core as possible in order to decrease IP cloud interference.

Which RAN vendor you are using? for example HW looses packets during state transitions with default parameter configurations.

Hi, Thanks again.
    The RAN is from NSN.
    We tried with ZTE dongle as well(BB+WiFi) and no problem.
    Also no problem of android/smart phones doing the data transfer at the same time at the same interval, same activity. Meaning we do the browsing at the same time.

Regards

Hi,

but do other phones or ZTE dongles show same type behaviour at different time? Is the problem only for HW dongles? is it only 1 particular type of dongle?

In any case you can check if packet is lost, when and in which direction by method i have described before. Just 1 thing to add. 3GPP allows to reset RLC buffer when PDU size changes, which means that all data in RLC is discarded. RLC PDU size can/will change when switching between RRC states. Cell_FACH and R99 cell_DCH RAB have fixed 336 RLC PDUs, however HSDPA has possibility of 336 and 656 (it is signaled in RB setup/reconfiguration) and HSPA+ allows flexible RLC PDU size. If RAN or UE understands procedure differently, packet loss will happen. This can lean to no reply from DNS (from UE prespective). When UE fails to receive IP address of web server, it cannot download page.

Hope this helps

We only have problem with E355 dongle. By the way NSn had traced and claim the E355 is not able to trasition from CELL_DCH to CELL_PCH, when there is no data activity. Is there any specific feature in Huawei to do the RRC direct trasition from DCH to PCH? This is mainly to do power saving on UE.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Hi Rifa,

HW support the transition from R14 onwards. The software was release about 1 year ago. The feature is called "Fast State Transition". If you'll check chapter 5.4 in attached document it states that UE should support "Signaling Connection Release Indication" which i believe is part of UE implementation of fast dormancy. Probably NSN does not differentiate between UE capabilities, and therefore you have an issue. As a matter of fact which RU version you are running?

Interestingly enough that E355 is built on Balong V3 Chipset by Hisilicon. Hisilicon is owned by Huawei itself. Your ZTE and other vendor modems must be running on Qualcomm chips

State Transition(RAN14.0_05).zip