Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Firmware Help

Member Reputation: 124

Question Firmware Help

Can you Plz tell me what Firmware is meaning and why we need it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Reputation: 14

Default i want to know

i want to know

Moderator Reputation: 520

Default Firmware?

Firmware is a small programs that internally control various electronic devices, such as a remote controls or calculators, scientific instrumentation and industrial robotics, etc. Also more complex consumer devices, such as mobile phones, digital cameras, synthesizers, etc., contain firmware to enable the device's basic operation as well as implementing higher level functions.

Firmware is similar with software, but it is always involved with very basic low-level operations in a device, without which the device would be completely non-functional.

Simple firmware typically reside in ROM or OTP/PROM, while more complex firmware often employ flash memory to allow for updates, a common reasons for updating firmware include fixing bugs or adding features to the device.

Doing so usually involves loading a binary image file provided by the manufacturer into the device, according to a specific procedure; this is sometimes intended not to be done by the end user.

TEMS Firmware is a set of firmware, usually contains of a Main Firmware and a File System, to be used in a Sony E******* mobile phones to make the phone work as a test phone for TEMS Investigation Software. To activate the functions we need a good license file (sometimes we called as a "script") to be injected into the phone. As well Nokia phones have NTM firmware to make it connectable with TEMS Investigation Software, NEMO Outdoor Software, etc. While ******** have their Netmon/EFEM Firmware to get the similar functions as a test phone.

Do hope the above small explanation will help.

Regards,
    parto-tegal

Member Reputation: 124

Now I can understand that to use any mobile with tems I need TEMS Firmware.
    Can you Plz tell me where can I find Nokia N80 or Sony E******* K790 Firmware and how can I upload it to my mobile

Member Reputation: 43

Default script..

Quote Originally Posted by parto_tegal View Post
    Firmware is a small programs that internally control various electronic devices, such as a remote controls or calculators, scientific instrumentation and industrial robotics, etc. Also more complex consumer devices, such as mobile phones, digital cameras, synthesizers, etc., contain firmware to enable the device's basic operation as well as implementing higher level functions.

Firmware is similar with software, but it is always involved with very basic low-level operations in a device, without which the device would be completely non-functional.

Simple firmware typically reside in ROM or OTP/PROM, while more complex firmware often employ flash memory to allow for updates, a common reasons for updating firmware include fixing bugs or adding features to the device.

Doing so usually involves loading a binary image file provided by the manufacturer into the device, according to a specific procedure; this is sometimes intended not to be done by the end user.

TEMS Firmware is a set of firmware, usually contains of a Main Firmware and a File System, to be used in a Sony E******* mobile phones to make the phone work as a test phone for TEMS Investigation Software. To activate the functions we need a good license file (sometimes we called as a "script") to be injected into the phone. As well Nokia phones have NTM firmware to make it connectable with TEMS Investigation Software, NEMO Outdoor Software, etc. While ******** have their Netmon/EFEM Firmware to get the similar functions as a test phone.

Do hope the above small explanation will help.

Regards,
    parto-tegal

Thanks for your explanation...would you please tell more about how to write script after flashing the firmware ? To flash the firmware in SE handsets we need setool2(say for example K790) but which tool do i need to use to write the script ? Is this the same setool ? Please explain about the script writing procedure...

Member Reputation: 17

same i.e setool
    script is a file containing license strings...so u just need to select/insert the file in 'misc' section and press flash button...voila..!!
    Last edited by deadman000; 2009-03-20 at 05:21 AM

Default Writing Script

Quote Originally Posted by alammasud View Post
    Thanks for your explanation...would you please tell more about how to write script after flashing the firmware ? To flash the firmware in SE handsets we need setool2(say for example K790) but which tool do i need to use to write the script ? Is this the same setool ? Please explain about the script writing procedure...
    Dear Alam,
    Writing script into your K790i/K800i with Setool2g (with Setool3 Box) can be done in two ways:

1. Writing script after flashing: put the script (in txt format) on MISC bar, then press "Write Script", followed by connecting your phone (with "C" button pressed and hold several times) with the DCU-60 cable. This can be done only for CID52 and less.

2. Flashing in same time with writing script: put the firmware on big box and your script on MISC bar, then click "Flash" button. This can be done on CID52 as well CID53.

Notes:
    1. I do recommend second method, it's saving time

2. Flashing can be done FREELY on CID52 or CID53 only. To whom having CID49 or CID51 phone, better to upgrade your CID become CID52 first, by writing the attached script.

3. Always do backup your GDFS or having Security Backup (by "Identifying") of your phone before do anything, it will revive your phone if somehow you do wrong and accidentally kill your phone.

4. Don't ask for TEMS Activation Script to me, I am not an expert on this.

Good luck and regards,
    parto_tegal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Member Reputation: 43

Default TEMS K_790 firmware

Dear Parto_Tegal,

Thanks for your useful explanation about TEMS script..one more thing i need to know-

Currently i'm trying to flash TEMS K790_R2B Firmware in my newly bought K790i CID_49 handset. The firmware is also for CID_49 handset.

Please inform me whether the procedure to flash TEMS firmware in SE handsets is different than to flash other software's firmware OR same ?
    Do i need any other special things to flash tems firmware ? Coz, each time when i try to flash the firmware, it shows failed due to some Binary code failure.....

Please suggest what to do?

@Alam
    Please read carefully my explanation above, especially on notes #2.
    Regards
    parto_tegal

Dear Parto_Tegal,

Thanks for your useful explanation about TEMS script..one more thing i need to know-

Currently i'm trying to flash TEMS K790_R2B Firmware in my newly bought K790i CID_49 handset. The firmware is also for CID_49 handset.

Please inform me whether the procedure to flash TEMS firmware in SE handsets is different than to flash other software's firmware OR same ?
    Do i need any other special things to flash tems firmware ? Coz, each time when i try to flash the firmware, it shows failed due to some Binary code failure.....

BannedUser Reputation: 67

Dear Parto_Tegal,

As we all understand, on this Forum we have various groups of users, Professionals, amateurs, enthusiastic experimentators, etc.

I would like to point out that making TEMS phone out of commercial model might seem easy task when someone reads various informations found on forum however, it is anything but that. Inexperienced person can and most probably will damage his or someone elses phone beyond point of repair while trying to load different firmware in it, not to mention by changing CID and other things.

So, my advice to novice users who want to play with tems is to better buy already made TEMS capable phone and then see what it is in reality.

At today prices k790 TEMS cloned, can be purchased relatively cheap and will save you lots of problems.