Thanks Thanks:  0
Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How UE in LTE knows Antenna number

Member Reputation: 187

Default How UE in LTE knows Antenna number

Hi Forum,

I would like to open this thead in order to undestand a little better how the UE in LTE knows the number of Antennas in DL.

According my undestanting the UE detects the number of antennas when it decoded the PBCCH. In this channel there is a CRC mask (16 bits) that is built taking in consideration the number of antennas in the transmission side. In this way the mobile can know of we have 1, 2 o 4 antennas.

I don't know if there are others ways.

Many thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Reputation: 295

Default Re: How UE in LTE knows Antenna number

Quote Originally Posted by jbada View Post
    Hi Forum,

I would like to open this thead in order to undestand a little better how the UE in LTE knows the number of Antennas in DL.

According my undestanting the UE detects the number of antennas when it decoded the PBCCH. In this channel there is a CRC mask (16 bits) that is built taking in consideration the number of antennas in the transmission side. In this way the mobile can know of we have 1, 2 o 4 antennas.

I don't know if there are others ways.

Many thanks
    Hi! There is an IE antennaInfo in RRC Connection Setup. You may see an example from below:

antennaInfo : explicitValue
    explicitValue
    transmissionMode : tm3
    codebookSubsetRestriction : n2TxAntenna-tm3
    n2TxAntenna-tm3 : 11
    [0 ] : 1
    [1 ] : 1

According to the number of CodebookSubsetRestriction bits from 3GPP TS 36.213:
    36_213_Table7_2_1_b.jpg
    we can find that the transmissionMode = tm3 and number of antenna ports is 2.

Senior Member Reputation: 591

Default Re: How UE in LTE knows Antenna number

By reading the Reference Signals that are interleaved in the OFDMA frame structure.

Antenna 1 and Antenna 2 have reference signal transmitted on different areas of the Frame. Those positions of frame in Antenna 1 where Ref Signals are TX are DTX'ed in the frame transmitted by Antenna 2. And, vice versa.