PDA

View Full Version : 3G System waste a lot of phone battery life

dk2000
2010-03-01, 11:20 AM
Hi Pro,
My network's Huawei system and employs 3G technology.

My customer complains "Their phone's wasted a lot of energy from they use 3G technology".

Please help me to solve this problem
Who meet same situation with me before??
Thanks you very much Pro!!

dk2000
2010-03-15, 07:03 PM
Hi men!

Who has a document about "the wasting energy between 2g and 3g network"

Or, how to optimize the phone energy life in 3G network.

Thank you so much for any help!!1

electron
2010-03-15, 08:14 PM
Hi as I remember there is 2 kind of subject that you should consider about your network issue:

1.The number of compressed mode UE which will able the UEs to measures other technology frequency during Cell-FACH,Cell-DCH,URA-State that it will consume UEs battery during measurements !

2.Uplink interferences which will has to UEs to send the uplink messages with higher TX power this problem also will consume more battery energy.

Thanks,
Reza

mmadan
2010-03-16, 02:27 AM
Hi,

The important thing is to split the issue in two parts
1) Optimisation of power consumption in idle mode

2) Optimisation in power consumption in connected mode

Regarding topic 1) - one of the main parameters that governs your battery consumption would be CN DRX Cycle Length Coefficient
- If set too low, the UE stand-by time decreases. If set too high, the mobile terminated call-setup latency increases and the delayed cell reselection process might cause reduced access performance.
For comparable performance with GSM, set it to 1.28 (or even 2.56) seconds

Regarding topic 2) - in DCH, there is not too much to optimize and usually the power consumption figures between GSM and WCDMA for a voice calls are very comparable.

There is a room for improvement regarding PS calls and especially CELL_FACH state (power consumption is quite big in CELL_FACH state, irrespective if UE measures other technology or frequency).

BR

safoot
2010-03-17, 12:35 AM
Thanks a lot for this very useful information, can you please share your trial with us or just tell me if there are any drawbacks for changing the CN domain specific DRX cycle length coefficient parameter to 1280ms?

dk2000
2010-03-19, 12:52 AM
Hi friend,

Thanks all for your help.
I already check on my network, CN Drx length Circle is 1280ms.

So,some my customers complain their phone waste battery faster than they used 2G. I don't know why?

Did someone meet the same situation before on your network?:mad:

wolverine
2010-03-19, 02:12 AM
The big "killer" for battery life in 3G terminals is talk time.

Unlike 2G where the terminal is transmitting at 1 timeslot and DTX in 7, in 3G the control channel (DPCCH) is always transmitting.

The difference in power consumption can be up to double.

This is a well known fact. For example if you have a look here hxxp://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n900/specifications

under the power management section you can see that Nokia quotes different talk-time for 2G and for 3G.

Standby power consumption is a bit better, especially if you optimise DRX cycle coefficients and keep Sintersearch, Sratsearch quite low thus avoiding constant searches when idle and in good radio conditions.

tukangoptim
2010-03-19, 06:59 PM
my advice: make lower threshold for compressedmode :D

tukangoptim
2010-03-19, 08:02 PM
my advice: make lower threshold for compressedmode :D

serious mode: http://www.finetopix.com/showthread.php?t=7779

pass.soft
2010-03-20, 07:29 PM
Hi,

one of the main reasons for 3G having a higher power consumption and consequently less battery life is due to the Power Amplifier of the mobile.
In GSM, the modulation used has no fluctuations in amplitude (the information goes on phase changes) and so is possible to use high efficiency amplifiers.
In UMTS, the modulation has both amplitude and phase changes, so the previous amplifiers cannot be used.
You may have notice the increase of temperature of the mobile while you are in 3G mode. This is due to the previous.

In fact little can be done to solve this issue from the network side. What you can see is if the mobile is far or not from the NodeB. If so, the mobile needs to transmit with higher power leading to the previous.

If you have further questions, let me know.

dje2005
2011-04-06, 04:33 PM
Dears,

just to add that high signalling is also a factor that decreases the battery life.

Check if your customers are located in RNC border or not. I had same complaint long time back and the issue was the LAU ping pong between 2 RNCs. Use the cell reselection parameters to delay the Location Area Update. And you will see a big difference.

BR//

Mctest
2011-04-06, 07:39 PM
Hi,

one of the main reasons for 3G having a higher power consumption and consequently less battery life is due to the Power Amplifier of the mobile.
In GSM, the modulation used has no fluctuations in amplitude (the information goes on phase changes) and so is possible to use high efficiency amplifiers.
In UMTS, the modulation has both amplitude and phase changes, so the previous amplifiers cannot be used.
You may have notice the increase of temperature of the mobile while you are in 3G mode. This is due to the previous.

In fact little can be done to solve this issue from the network side. What you can see is if the mobile is far or not from the NodeB. If so, the mobile needs to transmit with higher power leading to the previous.

If you have further questions, let me know.

In case of signaling and conversational services it uses QPSK modulation with only phase variation!

riyantoyadi
2011-04-06, 08:40 PM
in our experience most consumed by smartphone is always connected that very frequently change state from Idle-DCH so using Cell FACH/PCH/URA will increasing batery life, this strategy already implemented and customer very happy using 3G Network Finally

tukangoptim
2011-05-24, 12:49 AM
how about RNC feature (enhanced)fast dormancy, anyone try this before ?

s52d
2011-05-24, 06:51 AM
Hi Pro,
My network's Huawei system and employs 3G technology.

My customer complains "Their phone's wasted a lot of energy from they use 3G technology".

Please help me to solve this problem
Who meet same situation with me before??
Thanks you very much Pro!!

There are several factors influencing power consumption.
A big one is signalling, check:
http://www.finetopix.com/live-optimization/11554-common-la-between-2g-3g.html

With common LA some problems dissapeared, but is it just a part of the story.

BR
s52d

yafawi79
2011-05-24, 04:26 PM
Hi pro. Is this problem releated to a certain ue type or its general. From what I witnessed mobiles which are used to connect to the intrnet through r99 and r5 technology like blackberry or iphone consume battery live faster due to continous ps traffic including rrc and rab setup each time the ue accsess the internet or downloadiingfrom the net using 3g network. Also other factors may be duu to frequent reselection between 3g and 2g which is followed by lac update and rac update also reselection between different rnc followed by rrc setup request for regestration. Is the cell_pch state enable at your network? This may also reduce the battery life coze the ue will do cell update request each time it moves from one cell to another. Thanks and goodluck

DJ Download
2011-05-24, 04:30 PM
There is a nice article from Qualcomm about battery consumption:

Qualcomm Document Center - Standby Time Analysis for Mobile Devices in Multi-carrier WCDMA Networks (http://www.qualcomm.com/documents/standby-time-analysis-mobile-devices-multi-carrier-wcdma-networks)

Maybe this can be useful

There are several factors influencing power consumption.
A big one is signalling, check:
http://www.finetopix.com/live-optimization/11554-common-la-between-2g-3g.html

With common LA some problems dissapeared, but is it just a part of the story.

BR
s52d

telecom.santosh
2011-05-24, 06:43 PM
Can any one tell the 3G parameter regarding this.

telecom.santosh
2011-05-24, 06:46 PM
I think UMTS network use aggressive Power Control, that is way it take more power.