PDA

View Full Version : data throughput measurements - most precise

punto
2009-11-18, 01:18 AM
Hello,

tell me ... if you want to measure as close and as precise possible the value of data throughput - measurement with NEMO/TEMS, your laptop and data card ... do you make some preparation actions on your laptops, as ...
change to optimized settings for data transfer,
disable all automatic SW updates,
disable antivirus SW,
disable Google notifiers and so on and on that you possible can have on your laptops installed and could interfere with your measurements in the background, meaning - degrading your data throughput measurements ??!!
Please, share your opinion and experience ...
BR, P:)

RF engineer
2009-11-18, 03:59 AM
I think non of these affect your data drive test because there is no interface with drive test tool

punto
2009-11-18, 04:38 PM
I agree ... there is no interface with drive test tool ... but with the resources that drive test tool uses while downloading test file ! Some programs on your laptop in background try to update latest releases (antivirus, Adobe Acrobat Reader ... ) and affect the measured throughput of your test file ... as the resources are shared on different tasks ... to me is logical ... if we have lots of programs who make update automatically ... should have degradation in measured file and not seeing the real cause ... as this is done in background ... do you agree ?

Try to put 10 programs to have update in background and try to measure real test file of 10-50MB and while the download I am sure there will be degradation of speed on our file ... what you think ?

Actually your test laptop for measurement speed od wireless download should not have many other programs on it ... or all updates disabled ... this is how I see this ...
P:)

RF engineer
2009-11-18, 05:27 PM
I agree ... there is no interface with drive test tool ... but with the resources that drive test tool uses while downloading test file ! Some programs on your laptop in background try to update latest releases (antivirus, Adobe Acrobat Reader ... ) and affect the measured throughput of your test file ... as the resources are shared on different tasks ... to me is logical ... if we have lots of programs who make update automatically ... should have degradation in measured file and not seeing the real cause ... as this is done in background ... do you agree ?

Try to put 10 programs to have update in background and try to measure real test file of 10-50MB and while the download I am sure there will be degradation of speed on our file ... what you think ?

Actually your test laptop for measurement speed od wireless download should not have many other programs on it ... or all updates disabled ... this is how I see this ...
P:)
For the Updating you are write and as you mentioned don't put unnecessary software on the test laptop.
BR
RF

Rooster[BG]
2009-11-18, 05:42 PM
If you are using Ethreal/Wireshark you can see what packets are on the network. If you see some packets that shouldn't be there you should stop the program/service that is using the network. I personally stop all non essential programs and services during the DT.

You can also make some modifications to TCP parameters.
These are some TCP parameters that I use during my Data Performance Measurements:

Value name Data Type Value Data
SackOpts REG_DWORD 1 (decimal)
TCP1323Opts REG_DWORD 3 (decimal)
TCPMaxDupAcks REG_DWORD 3 (decimal)
TCPWindowSize REG_DWORD For GPRS CS1/CS2: 11680 (decimal)
For GPRS CS3/CS4: 23360 (decimal)
For EDGE: 64000 (decimal)

On Windows XP this parameters are located in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \ Parameters"

You can also use Dr. TCP to change the values for you and also change the Dial-Up MTU to 1500 (decimal).

torex
2009-11-18, 05:58 PM
can we use flashget for that purpose? Tems/Nemo use single session in their command sequence/script for data throughput measurement.

corneliu
2009-11-21, 12:03 AM
If you are interested just in measuring the maximum throughput or user experience, you may use flashget and wireshark. If you want to correlate your throughput to your environment ( CQI, QPSK/16QAM, number of codes, bla bla .... in case of HSDPA) you should use internal command sequences from TEMS, "to find out not just how but also why" . Furthermore there is an internal packet capture module. You will be able to later to use “export to etehereal” command for Wireshark or to use TEMS to analyze packet data.
Corneliu

mirza
2009-11-22, 03:14 PM
Hello,

tell me ... if you want to measure as close and as precise possible the value of data throughput - measurement with NEMO/TEMS, your laptop and data card ... do you make some preparation actions on your laptops, as ...
change to optimized settings for data transfer,
disable all automatic SW updates,
disable antivirus SW,
disable Google notifiers and so on and on that you possible can have on your laptops installed and could interfere with your measurements in the background, meaning - degrading your data throughput measurements ??!!
Please, share your opinion and experience ...
BR, P:)

Hello

Thanks for your question

It is really a good question with respective to Drive testing

Yes, We have to deactivate all softwares like google, Adobe, Antivirus and all

which degrade the performance of live testing specially throughput

I usually look for control panel and deactivate all the software which are not

in use. Hope it might be usefull

Thanks

Mirza

mirza
2009-11-22, 03:16 PM
can we use flashget for that purpose? Tems/Nemo use single session in their command sequence/script for data throughput measurement.

Hello

I think we can configure many sessions with tems according to requirements

Thanks

Mirza

torex
2009-11-22, 10:33 PM
Did you mean multiple data sessions? e.g. 3 phones/data cards and each of them make 1 data connection in 1 laptop?

Hello

I think we can configure many sessions with tems according to requirements

Thanks

Mirza

mirza
2009-11-22, 10:46 PM
Did you mean multiple data sessions? e.g. 3 phones/data cards and each of them make 1 data connection in 1 laptop?

Hello Punta

Thanks for your question , its a intresting one

As we will be using different UEs for each PS connection.

We may can make multiple PS connection in each test.

Thanks

Mirza