PDA

View Full Version : Cell Radius, How to find it?

commengr
2009-08-17, 10:46 PM
Hello, can you tell me how I can find the cell radius of a particular cell? Is it present in a TEMS compatible log file?

I have used CellTrack and it also makes a version of log file

Any ideas?

EngSoft
2009-08-17, 11:52 PM
When talking about cell radius in 2G network , I can think it two aspect . cell radius in planning proccess while you making the initial nominal plan , and actual cell radius in a live network .

If you are planning a site/ or doing a initial city plan , the cell radius will be the coverage footprint of the site, usually you can calculate it using simple link budget or with a more clever planning tool . Height of antenna , Max TX power and antenna gain will effect the cell radius . for example the more height the bigger the cell radius .

Attached is the equation for cell radius using Okuhama-Hata model. the Lpath is the max pathloss the system can handle , this is calculated from freespace loss + fading margin + etc .

Other way to find the Cell radius from the actual live network . is the using of TA . most vendor give you the ability to make a record to find the TA distribution . in E// under the RNO you can make a MRR report for a specific time and find the distribution . for example you can find a site serving 90% with a TA less than 4 . than mean the cell radius for the sites is 2KM.

I hope if give you a general overview about the cell radius in the 2G network.;)

commengr
2009-08-18, 12:46 PM
Your post has been really helpful, however, can you please elaborate on the following statements. Sorry to sound as an amateur, but what is TA (Is it TEMS based RSSI indication?) , MRR?

Other way to find the Cell radius from the actual live network . is the using of TA . most vendor give you the ability to make a record to find the TA distribution . in E// under the RNO you can make a MRR report for a specific time and find the distribution . for example you can find a site serving 90% with a TA less than 4 . than mean the cell radius for the sites is 2KM.

Perhaps you could share some document regarding this second method, since the first method, 'using propagation loss models' is not a good way to find the radius. It is primitive and does not account for changes in morphology and terrain in different areas.

The second method seems a really nice one, since it is based on 'on the ground' readings...

Thanks

EngSoft
2009-08-18, 05:09 PM
hi there .

Well my friend you seam still new in the world of optimization :p

TA is Time Advance , its a technique where the mobile will send the msg in the UL (uplink) in advance by number of time frame . in order to solve the problem in delay while the single transfer from the Mobile to the BTS.
you can see the pic attached.

anyway . it if you calculate the speed of the frame transfer you will find that in one time advance TA=1 the mobile travel about 500m from the BTS ( the could be non direct path , due to reflection , and its most accurate when its in rural area).

MRR , is E// report so forget it if you are not using E// . but you can see the TA in the TEMS the same place you see the rxQul rxLev .it keep change depending on where you are .

try to read more about it , i think you will get it better.