PDA

View Full Version : location area and routing area

ghassen
2009-06-24, 08:07 PM
why the location area size is bigger than the routing area ?? please i need the answer urgently thx

gprastomo
2009-06-24, 08:37 PM
why the location area size is bigger than the routing area ?? please i need the answer urgently thx

I dont think so the LAC should be bigger than RAC, for example in my network here, it has 5 LAC but only 1 RAC (3G network).

due to its efficiency in PS network, so if the mobile has made PS Call/ PDP context, it is possible to page a ue in cell level/URA not RAC level.

so no problem i think.

But everithing should be dimensioned properly to define both LAC and RAC

br

ghassen
2009-06-24, 08:46 PM
I dont think so the LAC should be bigger than RAC, for example in my network here, it has 5 LAC but only 1 RAC (3G network).

due to its efficiency in PS network, so if the mobile has made PS Call/ PDP context, it is possible to page a ue in cell level/URA not RAC level.

so no problem i think.

But everithing should be dimensioned properly to define both LAC and RAC

br

and what about the 2g network do you have any info about it or it should be the same ??

gprastomo
2009-06-24, 08:52 PM
and what about the 2g network do you have any info about it or it should be the same ??

as i read on the doc, it looks like that RAC should be smaller than LAC, but if the RRC state management (3G) is the same with GPRS Mobility management (2G) it could be RAC on 2G is the replacement on URA (3G) so URA is smaller than LAC, it could be true but CMIIW

Dashty
2009-06-24, 08:58 PM
Dear,
Yes I agree with gprastomo idea it shouldn't be; as I have at Huawei network,

Regards

rajmeena06
2010-05-17, 03:59 PM
Dear friends,

can anyone give reason of LAC update failure.

plannerguy
2010-05-17, 06:18 PM
hi Ghassen

It is learned that RAC should be a subset of LAC. A single LAC can have multiple RACs. If at all one RAC is under more than 1 LAC, it should be split with RAC color codes.

The Routing Area Color code (RACOL) allows the Mobile Station to distinguish between

two routing areas that have the same Routing Area Code, but belong to two different Location Areas.

This is expected to bring in improvement in paging capacity , TBF drop. SDCCH utilization need may go high as more data LUP will happen .

Regards
Plannerguy

rajmeena06
2010-05-17, 08:56 PM
Plz master give me the Reasons.

RF engineer
2010-05-17, 09:35 PM
Plz master give me the Reasons.
did you check this failure is exist on all the border of LAC or some sites?
For both case it is better to check the LAC definition in BSC and paticulairly on MSC, or you put T3212 to longer for periodic location update.
BR
RF

RF engineer
2010-05-17, 10:26 PM
The reason of RAC is smaller than LAC as Packet traffic in bursty nature which means more paging messages per mobile. so it is better to put RA small means small signaling.
BR
RF