PDA

View Full Version : EVDO Carriers Redirection.

jkpllan3
2014-09-12, 06:29 AM
Dear experts,

I'm currently working for a CDMA operator with multiple 1X carriers and one for EVDO. We want to improve the users experience on EVDO (some sites are getting congestion) and for that reason we want to enable another EVDO carrier.

Is there a way to set a redirect to the other EVDO carrier taking into account a counter (lets say user number or occupation)?
If possible, will be necessary to edit the PRL file?

We are using RRUs 3606 (only 3 carriers = 2 1x, 1 EVDO), 1 HCPM, 1 HECM.

Regards.

T_ADD
2014-09-12, 09:55 AM
If you have enough E1 or IP backhaul capacity and trx capacity then yes you can add another carrier but with a different frequency. You will have to configure a hard hand-off scenario for both of the different EVDO frequencies. This is where you can play around with parameters to do load balancing. There's no need for redirect type of scenario. The prl can also be edited to add the additional frequency.

jkpllan3
2014-09-16, 11:39 PM
thank you for your answer T_ADD.

So I it will be strictly necessary to add the new carrier to PRL file? If I implement the hard handover, will the AT go to the new carrier without having it in the PRL?
Can you share any guide for configuring a hard handover with load balancing?

DANORM
2014-09-17, 02:41 PM

So I it will be strictly necessary to add the new carrier to PRL file? If I implement the hard handover, will the AT go to the new carrier without having it in the PRL?

only in the EVDO modem's PRL must be evdo carriers configured.

DANORM
2014-09-17, 02:47 PM
and try this document

jamesbond
2014-09-17, 06:45 PM

No, I don't think so. If the new carrier is the adjacent carrier or with in 5MHz, I don't think you need to update PRL. We have experienced that when a carrier is not more than 5MHz than it usually comes into binding for Rev.B. Further, for such a scenario where PRL needs to be modified you then need to have OTAPA to update the existing users.

T_ADD
2014-09-18, 07:10 AM
@jkp - This is somewhat true. PRL update is not a must, but may help conserve battery power while searching for the new carrier, so therefore it helps to update it. For the HHO, I do not have any definitive guide. But this is how I would do it. Configure the new set of carriers with a different frequency but same PN. Monitor statistics in M2000. See how it goes. Relevant counters would be for load and traffic model. According this then configure the following. 1st would be to configure DO pilot handoff algorithm to activate specifics of DO HHO. Have a look at the MOD DOPHOALG command. Most probably you will have to configure the one for RTD. It's a good way to maintain subscribers within the edge of the cell. Read the help files on this command and related others. Also read the basic doc uploaded by DANCESTORM to grasp a general understanding, then read Section 11 from the doc in the link below. It tells all about different types of handoffs. If any questions on specific parameters within these commands then you can google or ask them here. Good luck!

[Note Added: DANCESTORM'S doc is regarding EVDO Rev.b mostly. So try not to confuse yourself with this as that's a little bit of a different game.]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b23zt704epzvhg6/80-W1527-2%20Rev.C%20CDMA2000%201x%20and%201xEV-DO%20Network%20Planning.pdf?dl=0

No, I don't think so. If the new carrier is the adjacent carrier or with in 5MHz, I don't think you need to update PRL. We have experienced that when a carrier is not more than 5MHz than it usually comes into binding for Rev.B. Further, for such a scenario where PRL needs to be modified you then need to have OTAPA to update the existing users.