PDA

View Full Version : coordinate system in atoll 2.8

napoleon.86
2009-03-23, 06:31 AM
hi everybody i m new in this site i hope i can found answer to this question which i m trying to solve for more than 3 weeks

i ve setup the atoll 2.8
after that i ve tried to get terrain maps from alot of sites nasa srtm and other sites

i ve downloaded egypt the 30-35e 30-35n when i measure it on the atoll its gives me same distances its wrong offcourse but on other software like global mapper gives me diffrent distance

so when i tried to enter point coordinate it give me wrong point
anybody face this problem before and how can i deal with that??????

raedsab
2009-03-23, 07:40 AM
i did not understand what is the problem!
Is it that you do not know if Atoll plots yout terrain maps correctly

Can you share your data so that we can look at it!

hi everybody i m new in this site i hope i can found answer to this question which i m trying to solve for more than 3 weeks

i ve setup the atoll 2.8
after that i ve tried to get terrain maps from alot of sites nasa srtm and other sites

i ve downloaded egypt the 30-35e 30-35n when i measure it on the atoll its gives me same distances its wrong offcourse but on other software like global mapper gives me diffrent distance

so when i tried to enter point coordinate it give me wrong point
anybody face this problem before and how can i deal with that??????

napoleon.86
2009-03-23, 02:48 PM
http://hypersphere.telascience.org/elevation/cgiar_srtm_v4/tiff/zip_old/Z_43_7.ZIP

this is a link of the data its in zone no.36 UTM
1- ATOLL doesnt deduct the the coordinates i should enter it and the resolution
2- when i enter it it gives me wrong measurements.......u can try to found a point it ll not find it correctly

applexx
2009-03-23, 05:34 PM
do you use a corresponding projection system wgs84/utm zone xxN and display wgs84 in options?and the right degree format?

napoleon.86
2009-03-23, 06:13 PM
do you use a corresponding projection system wgs84/utm zone xxN and display wgs84 in options?and the right degree format?

yes i wgs84 zone 36N

can u try it plz for me and if u can give me the steps in details

raedsab
2009-03-23, 09:28 PM
Here is the solution:

First your Data is derived from the USGS/NASA SRTM data and it is Geotiff format in decimal degrees and datum WGS84. So it is better to be projected in UTM before it can be used in Atoll.

You can use T2K GIS Translator (http://www.tiles2kml.com/download/T2KPro.zip) to project your TIFF
from Decimal WGS84 into UTM Zone 36N - WGS84 (in your case)
It will be detected directly by Atoll
PM for T2K GIS Translator *****
See below image for procedure.

yes i wgs84 zone 36N

can u try it plz for me and if u can give me the steps in details

napoleon.86
2009-03-24, 02:25 AM
i ve downloaded this software but i ve tried to convert but i dont know how to convert i ve tried but i think i m doing smth wrong so plz can u tell me the steps and if u ve changed the map i ve uploaded here can u give me a copy

thanx in advance

Here is the solution:

First your Data is derived from the USGS/NASA SRTM data and it is Geotiff format in decimal degrees and datum WGS84. So it is better to be projected in UTM before it can be used in Atoll.

You can use T2K GIS Translator (http://www.tiles2kml.com/download/T2KPro.zip) to project your TIFF
from Decimal WGS84 into UTM Zone 36N - WGS84 (in your case)
It will be detected directly by Atoll
PM for T2K GIS Translator *****
See below image for procedure.

napoleon.86
2009-03-24, 02:52 AM
it works as u told me man :D,,,, i dont know how to thank u

napoleon.86
2009-03-24, 02:55 AM
thanx for everybody tried to help me ,,,special thanks for mr raedsab:handshake

raedsab
2009-03-24, 03:24 AM
You are most welcome napoleon.86
I see you are new here, so welcome to our forum:)!

thanx for everybody tried to help me ,,,special thanks for mr raedsab:handshake

napoleon.86
2009-03-24, 04:00 AM
hi its me again with onther problem :D ... i hope its easy the sea level appear -32,768 m how can i change it to zero level

raedsab
2009-03-24, 04:34 AM
hi its me again with onther problem :D ... i hope its easy the sea level appear -32,768 m how can i change it to zero level
This is easy again,
Use T2K GIS Translator again but instead of [GeoTIFF (*.tif)] use [Arc/Info ASCII Grid (*.asc)] , you will get a text file that can be opened in any test editor like (Notepad) but since it is a large file you need an advanced editor like 'Ultra Edit' (downlaod from here : http://www.finetopix.com/showthread.php?t=2609)
Now Open the result Z_43_7.asc in ultraedit and replace the value -32768 by Zero.
Now Use T2K GIS Translator again to translate from [Arc/Info ASCII Grid (*.asc)] back to [GeoTIFF (*.tif)].
Make sure that you are selecting the correct Projection. I mean the new tif that you have now is projected in UTM zone 36N so slelect UTM zone 36N as the source and the target projection.

napoleon.86
2009-03-24, 05:41 AM
hi raedsab i dont know really how to thank u but u really do great favor to me
thanx alot :)